Shock lenght on 2013 summit

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the shock lenght is on the new summit?

Reason I am asking is that if I were to order a new one, I am wondering if I can use my z bros exits which are only a ride old ..

Also what about the rear suspension? Other than the t motion has anything changed in the geometry?

I have a brand new timbersled suspension with only a few rides as well decked in z bros and would want to transfer it over as well.

I know this may be a far fetched and hard to get info on since the sled is so new, but any help would be appreciated. :beerchug:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the shock lenght is on the new summit?

Reason I am asking is that if I were to order a new one, I am wondering if I can use my z bros exits which are only a ride old ..

Also what about the rear suspension? Other than the t motion has anything changed in the geometry?

I have a brand new timbersled suspension with only a few rides as well decked in z bros and would want to transfer it over as well.

I know this may be a far fetched and hard to get info on since the sled is so new, but any help would be appreciated. :beerchug:

front shocks will be the same as the 2012. but as far as the rear skid goes the geometry is completely different and the mounting locations have been relocated.HOWEVER i never did measure the center distance perhaps it is still the same just relocated.

i suggest you try out the t-motion first though. kind of defeats the purpose of the 2013. id wait until timbersled comes out with a tmotion rear arm or something. but thats just me lol

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Little different styling is what does it for me... As well as the price for me to upgrade my track to 2.5 and put on snow clearing running boards which almost makeup the difference, not to mention 0 miles.

Timbersled wrapped in exits are like riding on a cloud compared to stock.

Thanks for the reply maxwell I guess I will have to go check with the dealer on the distance of the rear skid mounting.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a guy who rode the XM last weekend. He told me that the rear skid is NOT as shown in the following picture that I borrowed off another thread. This picture was a big reason I want an XM for 13. He said Doo tried it this way and it did not work so they put it back similar shock positioning to a 12. I don't know if its true but I think it is relavent to this thread. Maybe you guys who have ridden it can confirm one way or the other?

Attachments

• doo.jpg
    doo.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 156

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a guy who rode the XM last weekend. He told me that the rear skid is NOT as shown in the following picture that I borrowed off another thread. This picture was a big reason I want an XM for 13. He said Doo tried it this way and it did not work so they put it back similar shock positioning to a 12. I don't know if its true but I think it is relavent to this thread. Maybe you guys who have ridden it can confirm one way or the other?

Hmmm that is interesting.... If the rear suspension is changed that much, looks as tho my rear timbersled wont be bolting up.

Guess I wouldn't be so keen on swapping the skids had I not just spent a fortune on this skid and fronts! :doh:

Thanks for the info guys and keeper comin if ya can

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There was nobody in our group with a tape measure scoping things out. All I know is EVERYBODY in our group concurred the XM definately pops out of the snow better than the XP.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was nobody in our group with a tape measure scoping things out. All I know is EVERYBODY in our group concurred the XM definately pops out of the snow better than the XP.

that could be in part due to the change in rail geometry.

The t-motion is supposed to be adaptable to any current XP. That leads me to believe that the 2013 mounting locations is similar. We saw changes to the first year Freerides though. The exact opposite though as they moved the drop brackets further back and the sled trenched worse than the Summits. Then they moved them to the standard Summit location for last year.

Even what is on the snow right now, might ot be the same as what hits the showroom floors in Nov.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that could be in part due to the change in rail geometry.

The t-motion is supposed to be adaptable to any current XP. That leads me to believe that the 2013 mounting locations is similar. We saw changes to the first year Freerides though. The exact opposite though as they moved the drop brackets further back and the sled trenched worse than the Summits. Then they moved them to the standard Summit location for last year.

Even what is on the snow right now, might ot be the same as what hits the showroom floors in Nov.

on the prototypes the rear arm mounts about 3 inches back of the stock location. not sure about the front.

stock location on left. t motion location on right

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that a 2012 with the t-motion and updated running boards that they ran all winter? Or is that an XM?

It would make sense that it is mounted further back on that sled if the front location was still the stock location. Upon closer look of the t-motion photos I have seen, the difference between front/rear mounting locations is the same as current XP's, but the actual location of the XM is moved further ahead on every sled I have seen. If that makes sense.

I wish I would have taken better photos when we had it inside the shop before we rode them. actually...I will see whats on my phone.

So in this photo the skid is also mounted further back in the chassis with different brackets. With the new rails, they are possibly longer. I wonder if there was an issue having the longer rails with shallower attack angle that wasn't addressed on the early released sleds.

IMAG0124.jpg

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this is all very interesting because the comparison photo shows the rear braket forward not back of the 12. I ride it on the 5th of April and hopefully I will remember to take a tape measure and snap a photo of the measurements.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so has anyone seen or herad the weight of the tmotion skid compared to the older xps, we have seen a stock skid to weight 50lbs with all parts, timbersled and dans skids are 37lbs, can that weight be saved on the new xm chassie as well... thanks

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so has anyone seen or herad the weight of the tmotion skid compared to the older xps, we have seen a stock skid to weight 50lbs with all parts, timbersled and dans skids are 37lbs, can that weight be saved on the new xm chassie as well... thanks

Not sure on the weight of the new T motion Fred. Once again though when changing out the skid you lose the main component that makes the XM what it is for 2013. I think Baker is already working on lighter suspension components for next year. He says he can take 40 lbs out of the XM after looking at it. I wouldn't give up the T motion for nothing. It is amazing!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ken i am not saying i want to get rid of the tmotion, i just would like to know the weight and see if their can be a big weight savings with titanium parts and some of darrels or dans knowlege...

i am planning on getting a xm, but want it as lean as i can get it on its first mile, ordered hp parts yesterday...lol ... snow was incrediable yesterday in atlas... can you ride tommorow

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ken i am not saying i want to get rid of the tmotion, i just would like to know the weight and see if their can be a big weight savings with titanium parts and some of darrels or dans knowlege...

i am planning on getting a xm, but want it as lean as i can get it on its first mile, ordered hp parts yesterday...lol ... snow was incrediable yesterday in atlas... can you ride tommorow

The xm is going to be identical weight to 2012 skid. Its the same just the front arm is split and there is an added hiem joint. Can't see it weighing any more or any less.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yeah the girl needs to go on a diet. Can you imagine how they would handle 30 lbs lighter with T motion? Sorry can't get out this weekend as I have previous committments.
:(

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the Doo has 4 forward wheels in the skid that have some decent weight to them. The Pro has none and guys like Ken Baker added them to make the Pro more practical if you have to do any spring trail riding. Drop these wheels if you think you are powder only kind of rider. These are the types of items that make the Doo heavier. The hyfax should last 7000 kms easy IMO.

Top Bottom