Shock Information needed

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking to quiz a 'shock expert' for some information on rebuilding all kinds of shocks.

I am also wondering if anyone knows of a course specific to rebuilding shocks?

Thanks for your help,
Amy

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No shock expert but here's what I know about it, not much by the way. I just recharged (not rebuilt) all my shocks and a buddies a few weeks ago. My neighbour has the nitrogen bottle, regulators, valve set up etc. and the needle to charge all makes of shocks. Mine are Cat ACT shocks. We recharged them to 210 psi and the result was "as new". Next year I will be buying the kit to rebuild them, washers, seals etc. I too would like to get a good leason on the proper way to rebuild gas shocks.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a shock question as well, sorry to highjack,,,,,

I have a 2007 Rev and it felt a little springy on my last ride and when I got home I noticed when I compressed the rear shock and let go the rear end would shoot up like it was under huge load, what is this? is my shock done, its like 10 times the rebound it should have kinda weird...
thx

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to me sounds like your only using ur spirngs.. take the two bolts out and test it. all you can really do.. cheap fix tho

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What he said... yank it out, compress it against the floor. If it is hard to push and rebounds back quickly your shock is good. If it feels squishy and sort of inconsistant while compressing it then you might have an issue with the oil mixing with the nitrogen. Seals gone bad. Propably time to rebuild and recharge.

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Scotty.

The reason I ask is that I have been thinking about rebuilding/recharging shocks as a side business. Do you know where your neighbour bought his stuff? Also, who would like to see this sort of specialized business? Do lots of you just do this yourself?
Thx!

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Scotty.

The reason I ask is that I have been thinking about rebuilding/recharging shocks as a side business. Do you know where your neighbour bought his stuff? Also, who would like to see this sort of specialized business? Do lots of you just do this yourself?
Thx!

Funny you bring this up. I have considered the same :rolleyes:. I have the shop on the acreage, I have a large circle of sledding buddies who all need their shocks recharged at one point or another?

Yes I can see this as a specialized income supliment! :rolleyes:

The local dealers charge up to $90.00 per shock for a recharge. Thats not a rebuild, just a recharge. However, I beleive you need a permit to house a Nitrogen bottle on your property?

I could charge about 40 shocks a year no problem without advertising! Thats just the guys I ride with. :)

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Scotty.

Thx!

you could practice on mine Amy, sounds like I need some gasssss....lol see ya tomorow we can talk

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to the Carvers Performance website http://www.carverperformance.com/ . They sell the videos, tools and parts needed to do this. Initial investment can be high for some parts, but that can be recouped pretty quick. It's not hard once you learn how. Then you can start experimenting with oil weights, valving........

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to the Carvers Performance website Carver Performance . They sell the videos, tools and parts needed to do this. Initial investment can be high for some parts, but that can be recouped pretty quick. It's not hard once you learn how. Then you can start experimenting with oil weights, valving........

In my humble opinion, the most important part of the sled is the suspension. Pounding down a wooped out trail at high speed and having my shocks fade and die is not a good thing :mad: Having the skid bottom out really sucks. I'd be really happy to spend the cash on the hardware to be able to recharge my shocks and anyone elses for that matter. I priced it out at $600.00 and that includes oil filled gages, the expensive ones.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rebuild our race quad shocks all the time, as a maintenence item. We only run them for 15 hours and then dump the oil, check the seals and shafts, clean and recharge. We pack a nitrogen bottle in the race trailer and shop.

Getting some of the seal heads and shims for some of the brands might be tough..... but I belive theres a business there..good luck.

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! It was really helpful. I am going to look into this further and I will keep you posted.
Cheers! :beer:

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tim Zacharias from Enzo Racing in High River does a lot of work on sled shocks
He is a guru when it comes to MX and sled shocks

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, the most important part of the sled is the suspension. Pounding down a wooped out trail at high speed and having my shocks fade and die is not a good thing :mad: Having the skid bottom out really sucks. I'd be really happy to spend the cash on the hardware to be able to recharge my shocks and anyone elses for that matter. I priced it out at $600.00 and that includes oil filled gages, the expensive ones.

Will you pick up and deliver at no added cost???:)

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a shock question as well, sorry to highjack,,,,,

I have a 2007 Rev and it felt a little springy on my last ride and when I got home I noticed when I compressed the rear shock and let go the rear end would shoot up like it was under huge load, what is this? is my shock done, its like 10 times the rebound it should have kinda weird...
thx

hey JT is your throttle rod still there and in good shape? cause my rear suspension was doing that andit was cauuse my throttle rod was busted, its the peice that goes from your top shock mount to your bottom shock mount

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will you pick up and deliver at no added cost???:)

Pick up, deliver and install at no cost to you! Yeah Right! My neighbour talked me out of, said he has all the stuff why would I need it? Good point, saves me some cash i guess, but it would be nice be setup to recharge and make i bit of extra cash?? Hmmmm.

Top Bottom