shock extetions

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 apex s/c and I was wondering if anyone has put a 2 or 3" extention on the front shock to raise the front end up to help it ride better in deeper snow. The front end just seems to push snow when u are in deep snow compared to my M8 so it's just a idea I have just curious if anyone else has tried this before and how well did it work.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you don't want to make your shocks longer on a sled that only works on quads, if the shocks are longer it will put to much pressure on the skis what you want to do is put more pressure on the front of your track. if your sled has a strap on the front of the skid lengthen it to a point that the ski pressure is a light feel on the trail

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im trying to raise the front end off the ground Im not trying to decrease ski pressure it just seems to push snow instead of riding up on the snow like my M8.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im trying to raise the front end off the ground Im not trying to decrease ski pressure it just seems to push snow instead of riding up on the snow like my M8.

First off, your Apex will never float like your M8, its got 100 lbs more on the front end. You'd be better off with stiffer shocks and wider skis on the Apex IMO. Its not a linear ratio if you just swap your shocks, the A-arms and steering components still limit the amount of travel. You will have to decide if you want more travel and a longer shock or the same travel with with a longer shock, and what your fully open and fully compressed dimensions are. You can't just "double" the travel (or whatever), there are other components that limit it. You might be able to get a 12" shock with 6" of travel in there, or a 12" shock with 8" of travel, or only a 10" shock with 7" of travel. There is still going to have to be some give and take when sizing your shocks.

Take a shock off one side and cycle your a-arm through its full range of motion, that will determine your full range of travel. Take note of your bump steer and castor angles as well and how much they change during that full cycle because if you do install longer shocks, the change in the angles can really throw off your steering when you are riding. If your springs are too soft or worn out, the suspension will be compressing half of its travel at static ride height.

With stiffer springs, the suspension will not compress as much from static height right away, so that will get the front of your sled up out of the snow better, so long as your skis can distribute the weight OK, but your trail riding will be rougher. Yamaha is offering the Floats now for your sled, that might be an option and then you can get the canisters to add air volume, this way you can run a little lower air pressure for a softer ride but it will still take the big hits. The Floats have a better rising rate ratio IMO.

Bigger skis will help distribute the front end weight and get the front floating better as well. C&A 8" MTXs or Simmons Gen 2 or 3's.

knocksum

Reaction score
Mount your rear skid hole 1 inch higher. Realign track and ride. Your Apex will feel 300 pounds lighter up front and keep it out of the snow. Best mod for any Apex mountain.

Top Bottom