Setting up crossfire for mountains...

Cross Cat

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm not new to the site but am a virgin poster lol! Just looking for some reccomendations on setting up my crossfire for the mountains. Sled is a 2009 crossfire 8 sp and current mods include SLP can only, SLP Mohawk skis, and 2.6" powerclaw track. I want to set it up for the 6-9000' elevation range. Cat reccomends 73g primary weights and a 36deg secondary helix. I've read mixed things on adjustable weights and how they can vary and not actually be the weight indicated. Should I just get the oem weights or adjustable and if so which adjustables. As for the helix I've read that a straight helix isn't the way to go. What would be a good multi angle helix be 40/36? 42/36? and who is a good supplier to buy from. I'm also considering doing the oil delete. What ratios are guys running for safe numbers? I hear 30 - 36:1? Thanks in advance for any replys!

getoan

Reaction score
I've set up the exact same sled, stage 2 SLP kit, geared down to 57/63, swapped a 153x2.6 under it. I did mine with stock crossfire helix, adjustable daytons @ 72.5 grams and stock yellow/white primary spring with a Thunder products ABC kit. Works great where I ride, pulls hard and easy on belts.

Iamcatman

Reaction score
I have only ever run the straight 36 helix in my 09 M8. same engine, and I use stock wieghts(6-9000) everywhere. I had debated changing the helix to a progressive (40/36) but since I do a lot of riding under extreme different circumstances, I just get used to it. Always pulls hard. I have the 2.25 powerclaw and still stands up easy. I have the full slp pipe and air box delete, headlight delete, and lightweight front end (fastlaneracing) and fox floats. I would recommend leaving stock stuff in, this way it is easy to find new parts, and no second guessing. I am sure the gearing would have to change a bit too, becasue the M's are geared different than the cf's. Hope this helps

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 crossfire that I put the 141 2.25 track in, sway bar removed, sly dog skies, yellow/white spring in the primary, weights I run anywhere from 67g to 70g with an 046 belt and the stock 44/40 helix, 57/63 gearing. Sled works not to shabby.

Top Bottom