Self Tapping Drain Plug (oil)

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone used these,I was told you could buy them at Napa,They are a half mil bigger tham the original and basically screw right in,Sounds like an easy fix,Im going to pick one up tomorro and cross my fingers!
catmando!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used these,I was told you could buy them at Napa,They are a half mil bigger tham the original and basically screw right in,Sounds like an easy fix,Im going to pick one up tomorro and cross my fingers!
catmando!

I did a few years ago. It worked.
The better ones have a outside self tapping with a drain plug in the middle.

That way put it in and never unscrew the oversize plug again.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
catmando!

is this for your BF? same thing happened to my kawi so the last time i put in the drain plug i locktited it, but it needs an oil change and im dreading it...

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We use oversize selftapping oil drain plugs all the time...... Usually stripped by the quick lube shops....... Common practise and fraction of the cost of replacing the oil pans. Just sayin'

grizzlydave

Reaction score
I stripped out the drain plug in my grizzly last year, and I got a heli-coil kit it was M14 x1.5, drilled out the old threads tapped a bigger thread and installed the heli coil it worked great. the new threads are also stainless steel so they last longer. I still have a few of the coils and the tools, If you have the same drain plug. pm me if you need them.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you prevent shavings from getting inside though?

grizzlydave

Reaction score
Dip the tap/drill bit in grease before and drilling tapping the hole, this will catch most of the fillings, poor the old you just drained out of the quad and back into the machine and let it flush the filling out of the bottom of the hole. there may be a few small filling left when you are done, but the oil filter will pick them up.

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is this for your BF? same thing happened to my kawi so the last time i put in the drain plug i locktited it, but it needs an oil change and im dreading it...

we use a suction pump for removing oil, pulls it right out the dipstick/ fill.a cheap one is like $60 . you should add a little new oil to give the crank case a rinse , its a bit harder to all the oil out.

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The drain plug is not a structural part of the machine, 10 ft-lbs will hold the oil in and not strip it, that's a lot easier.

Top Bottom