Seized or not?

scottp

Reaction score
I was out on my 2012 RMK600 today when it just bogged down and quit just like as if you hit the kill switch when you're still moving. I tried to pull it over and you couldn't. It was like it seized. After about 5 minutes it started up okay. The coolant was full and the oil was full there was lots of snow and I don't think the throttle hit the bar all day so this was totally unexpected.
I didn't think it was possible to temporarily seize an engine.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I was out on my 2012 RMK600 today when it just bogged down and quit just like as if you hit the kill switch when you're still moving. I tried to pull it over and you couldn't. It was like it seized. After about 5 minutes it started up okay. The coolant was full and the oil was full there was lots of snow and I don't think the throttle hit the bar all day so this was totally unexpected.
I didn't think it was possible to temporarily seize an engine.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

If it was locked, there must be some kind of problem..... Do you still have warranty?

popeye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had had that happen twice on my old 900 cat. Once was cold seize second was a rod bearing. You should get it checked out. What ever it is there is probably some internal damage.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hot seized. Let it cool for 5 minutes and the rings pop back out and it fires right up. Been there.

scottp

Reaction score
You better do a compression test. If the rings stuck it probably did damage.
tested the compression and have 100 on both sides on a cold engine. I did the test outside on the trailer and its minus 3 out today and then when I started it to warm it up for a hot test,it fouled a plug. I am assuming a test on a warm engine would bring a higher number and the same on both sides.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's under warranty TAKE IT IN, do not wait. If it stopped you have damage and one way or another it's going to show up down the road so just get it fixed now and at the same time they can figure out what caused it because 600's don't over heat when you are in deep snow like you said unless there is a problem, impeller spinning on the shaft and not circulating coolant or thermostat stuck closed etc. etc. There is a reason it happened and you need to figure out what it was because the 600's are really very bulletproof. Don't wait until your warranty is over.

alex8q4

Reaction score
Based on several Polaris failures of late, you likely hooked a ring on your exhaust port. This would mean you have significant damage to your piston and head.

Regardless of the reason I would suggest you open it up. Seizing an engine at speed puts a lot of stress on items like your rods and can do significant damage.

Good luck.

scottp

Reaction score
If it's under warranty TAKE IT IN, do not wait. If it stopped you have damage and one way or another it's going to show up down the road so just get it fixed now and at the same time they can figure out what caused it because 600's don't over heat when you are in deep snow like you said unless there is a problem, impeller spinning on the shaft and not circulating coolant or thermostat stuck closed etc. etc. There is a reason it happened and you need to figure out what it was because the 600's are really very bulletproof. Don't wait until your warranty is over.
I'm hauling it to the dealer tomorrow. 383 Kms on this sled and it will be the 4th time back.

Top Bottom