Securement Requirements?

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for the laws that dictate how a sled must be secured inside of an enclosed trailer. Interested in Alberta & BC.

I have heard 4 straps that would each individually hold the weight of the sled. This seems a little extreme. I am sure that everything inside transport trucks is not strapped down with 4 straps.

Any help will be appreciated.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the law doesn't specifically state how many tiedowns are required, just that cargo must be secured as to not be able to shift and alter the course of the vehicle. there is a formula for straps and chains, I think (not 100% sure) the amount of securement devices must be rated to 1/3 over the total weight of the load. I'm sure I'll get stopped in Valemount this year and checked out, word is they are specifically checking sledders this year.

we sometimes haul seedlings for Canfor in 48 and 53 foot reefer vans, from nurseries in Alberta and BC. all that is required is load locks (adjustable locking telescopic poles) and plywood sheets to hold the boxes in place, they are not individually secured. same with the grocery haulers, they secure their cargo in the same way. will be interesting to see how they interpret the wording of the law. on a open deck and inside an enclosed may be 2 different animals.

there is a thread on SnoWest, something about "welcome to Valemount" with a few stories of guys getting hassled, one guy got shut down for having rust on his trailers' safety chains....absolutely ridiculous IMO, but best be on the safe side and spray paint them if you see rust....lol.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the post on securing cargo. I went straight to the light vehicle section and read it. I will now be using 4 straps with the load rating on them when I go into BC. Why screw around with a DOT cop who can really mess up your day, right?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the post on securing cargo. I went straight to the light vehicle section and read it. I will now be using 4 straps with the load rating on them when I go into BC. Why screw around with a DOT cop who can really mess up your day, right?

Exactly! I use 2 on the rear, one on the front and ski clamps. Never got pulled over for securing your load to well :beer:

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you read the section,it's for hauling a vehicle ,not hauling ON a light vehicle.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try reading Page 18 Section 22.I think that's what you are looking for.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try reading Page 18 Section 22.I think that's what you are looking for.

So what I get from that is, if you sled is over 3m long you need 1 extra tie down? I guess it's not ment for sleds, but could easily be interperted that way to give you a ticket.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From reading the interpretation guide I would read it as a sled needs a tie down front and back as long as those two can stop movement in all directions. The over 3.04 m does not apply to light vehicles.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess a person has to remember this document was set up by the government and that's why it's so easy to understand... :rollinglaugh:

yamadoo

Reaction score
I drag super B flat decks around the countryside and have found that asking the dot inspectors what it is that they want to see,is about the best way.The garble in the codes is too confusing. Tete Jaune Scale 250-566-4311Leduc Scale 780-986-2611 Most guys are helpful,a quick call may save a large pain and take away from ridin time!:)

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you read the section,it's for hauling a vehicle ,not hauling ON a light vehicle.

I don't know what to think when it comes to the government. I would think a sled is a light vehicle, when transported in a trailer. I'm still going to use 4 straps, because I like the BC hills too much to be kept out. But I don't want to live there,LOL. I am pretty sure in BC if you get stopped, you will be fined for something.

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I drag super B flat decks around the countryside and have found that asking the dot inspectors what it is that they want to see,is about the best way.The garble in the codes is too confusing. Tete Jaune Scale 250-566-4311Leduc Scale 780-986-2611 Most guys are helpful,a quick call may save a large pain and take away from ridin time!:)

You can also get two totally different interpretations from two different officers.:eek:
" Never got pulled over for securing your load to well "
If you're not sure-put an extra tie down or two.

Top Bottom