Secure a sled in truck box?

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 F-150, 5.5' box with a wooden box liner.
The front tie down cleats are covered by the box liner which leaves me with just the rear cleats to secure my sled.

Any thoughts on adding one or 2 tie down points?
Would you drill down thru the box and liner? I need to crawl under the truck and see if there's a room to to something like this.

I'd hate to get into a situation and see my sled flying.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I have a 2012 F-150, 5.5' box with a wooden box liner.
The front tie down cleats are covered by the box liner which leaves me with just the rear cleats to secure my sled.

Any thoughts on adding one or 2 tie down points?
Would you drill down thru the box and liner? I need to crawl under the truck and see if there's a room to to something like this.

I'd hate to get into a situation and see my sled flying.

Use a hole saw and cut out the box liner where the tie downs are. That's what I'd do.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why not just use only the two rear? all i ever use, ratchet strap down over the track hooked to the anchor points.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why not just use only the two rear? all i ever use, ratchet strap down over the track hooked to the anchor points.

I believe the law states must be secured with three or more places. I know this because I question it with super clamps. They consider one clamp on the front as two hold downs, then to be legal you need the back one as a third.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When my deck isn't on I use two straps, one from each rear tie down to either the rear bumper, drop brackets, running board hole, or rail hole. That was in an 8' box though you may want to do something up front as well with the 5.5'.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought that only applied to a deck ( truck or trailer) as there isn't a front or sides. At least deep sides. Could always use the flush mount anchors too.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy one super clamp and drill one hole in the box put a piece of flat iron under it and fasten it with metal screws from in the box. find the right bit size for the bolt that holds the super clamp on or tap the hole and screw the bolt in then you can take it out in the summer. now it's secure and you can lock the clamp and then use the rear straps so it doesn't swing around

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Get a clevis receiver hitch and put a strap from the back of the sled to the hitch? That's what i do with my quad, and then stick a spare tire in-front to back up against the box.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe the law states must be secured with three or more places. I know this because I question it with super clamps. They consider one clamp on the front as two hold downs, then to be legal you need the back one as a third.

I believe this is correct as well. either way even if it was legal only strapping the back is sketchy. I would do what others have said and cut holes in the liner for the tie downs. you'll probably need them for something else anyways eventually. I know my toolbox makes my front tiedowns a PITA and I curse at it often lol

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The RCMP that had me stopped a few years ago at a checkstop said they like to see a third strap near the front, through the skid or front suspension. Extra help against the sled flying forward during a head on collision

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The RCMP that had me stopped a few years ago at a checkstop said they like to see a third strap near the front, through the skid or front suspension. Extra help against the sled flying forward during a head on collision

It's actually required by law. Minimum three points of securement.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MY 5' box i tie the spindles to the front rings, then i run straps to from the rear rings to the running boards. i do this if i sit the rails with the tail gate closed or down.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is a great idea! Much better than ratchet straps.

buy one super clamp and drill one hole in the box put a piece of flat iron under it and fasten it with metal screws from in the box. find the right bit size for the bolt that holds the super clamp on or tap the hole and screw the bolt in then you can take it out in the summer. now it's secure and you can lock the clamp and then use the rear straps so it doesn't swing around

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Thought that only applied to a deck ( truck or trailer) as there isn't a front or sides. At least deep sides. Could always use the flush mount anchors too.

I'd bet dollars to the cops doughnuts that of you do get stopped without any securement in the front you'll get an insecure load fine

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the threaded flat bar thing and first time I clamped the sled down it pulled the threads. 3/8" flat bar too!!
Be better off just drilling the hole right through the box and flat bar or even channel would be better. Use a lock nut and flat washer to mount it and done. Did this on my old Ford second time around no issues.
Either way this is the way to do it if you haul it in the box all the time.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.
I think I'll drill some 6" holes in the box liner sides to get access to the front cleats. I may look for some plastic pipe end caps to cover them when they're not used.
I like the idea of the superclamp. I'll crawl under the truck this weekend and see if it's easy access.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you cover the outside of the tailgate!!
Travelling with it down is hell on the paint job!!
When I had mine in the box, I would use a ratchet strap from the running boards to the truck tie downs at the front of the box.
Not sure about you but reaching into the front of the box to secure the tie downs is not a fun task.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you cover the outside of the tailgate!!
Travelling with it down is hell on the paint job!!
When I had mine in the box, I would use a ratchet strap from the running boards to the truck tie downs at the front of the box.
Not sure about you but reaching into the front of the box to secure the tie downs is not a fun task.
Interesting OT story about tailgate rock chips.:cool:
I used to think the same thing as in my '05 Dmax I used to run with the gate down all the time and it looked like someone shot it with a BB gun. I also used to pull a couple different utility and holiday trailers.
When I bought my '07 I put a deck on it right away and never ever run with the gate down. Still pull the same trailers and yet my tailgate now looks just as bad. Took me a while to figure it out, but the rocks were coming off of the tires, hitting the trailer, and bouncing forward into my tailgate. Made sense as I used to always find good sized stones on my bumper. So running with it down really wasn't as big of a problem as I thought IMO. I am going to repaint it and after put 3M tape over the whole tailgate to protect the paint. Probably not a bad idea for anyone who tows or runs with their gate down
OK Back on topic......

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting OT story about tailgate rock chips.:cool:
I used to think the same thing as in my '05 Dmax I used to run with the gate down all the time and it looked like someone shot it with a BB gun. I also used to pull a couple different utility and holiday trailers.
When I bought my '07 I put a deck on it right away and never ever run with the gate down. Still pull the same trailers and yet my tailgate now looks just as bad. Took me a while to figure it out, but the rocks were coming off of the tires, hitting the trailer, and bouncing forward into my tailgate. Made sense as I used to always find good sized stones on my bumper. So running with it down really wasn't as big of a problem as I thought IMO. I am going to repaint it and after put 3M tape over the whole tailgate to protect the paint. Probably not a bad idea for anyone who tows or runs with their gate down
OK Back on topic......

need one of those truck wide towing flaps.

Top Bottom