secondary clutch 2009 M1000

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my last ride of the season last year I found a large bolt wedged in my dick brake. We where a ways from nowhere and rode the rest of the day. I ordered a new one and installed it. It looked like the dealer forgot to put locktight on the bolt when I was getting the DD replaced under warranty. Anyways with that bolt out it aloud the secondary to 'float' a bit in reverse I am guessing and it broke one of the bolts on the back of the secondary. My question is , is this imperative to the operation of the secondary? I have replaced these once before and I know what a pain they can be to get out? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my last ride of the season last year I found a large bolt wedged in my dick brake. We where a ways from nowhere and rode the rest of the day. I ordered a new one and installed it. It looked like the dealer forgot to put locktight on the bolt when I was getting the DD replaced under warranty. Anyways with that bolt out it aloud the secondary to 'float' a bit in reverse I am guessing and it broke one of the bolts on the back of the secondary. My question is , is this imperative to the operation of the secondary? I have replaced these once before and I know what a pain they can be to get out? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

DUDE if you had a large bolt in your DICK BRAKE I'd say you have worse issues to deal with HAHAHA I couldn't resist this one:d:d:d:d

As long as the sheaves are not sliding apart from each other or moving for that matter I think your good to go. I'd say if you had like 2-4 broken bolts it would be time to change to all new bolts. I still don't get how it broke one of the rear secondary bolts. It may have loosened as well. Check them all and torque to spec....

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
The big bolt you found was the one in the jackshaft that is a 16mm head, correct? The little bolts on your secondary have nothing to do with that bolt even if it came out. If they broke it is because they are fatigued and all of them should be replaced. You need to heat them with a little propane torch and then pull them out, the loctite has to be heated up to get them out easily otherwise you will just break them and then you will have a big mess. Once they are out, replace them with factory new bolts or there is some people who have found a better bolt at a supply store and I would like to know where that is so I can change mine as well. Dont overtighten them either as they will break prematurely again. Dont forget to get some ready rod with 2 big ol washers and hold the clutch together first before you start. Hope this helps some.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The big bolt you found was the one in the jackshaft that is a 16mm head, correct? The little bolts on your secondary have nothing to do with that bolt even if it came out. If they broke it is because they are fatigued and all of them should be replaced. You need to heat them with a little propane torch and then pull them out, the loctite has to be heated up to get them out easily otherwise you will just break them and then you will have a big mess. Once they are out, replace them with factory new bolts or there is some people who have found a better bolt at a supply store and I would like to know where that is so I can change mine as well. Dont overtighten them either as they will break prematurely again. Dont forget to get some ready rod with 2 big ol washers and hold the clutch together first before you start. Hope this helps some.

Great Advice!!!!

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice , I have replaced these bolts before and I put instainless ones , i was hoping to get another ride before I have to tear it down as I am supoosed to go this weekend and then not for another month. I just got the bolts from a bolt supply place here in Nisku.

mattsterz

Reaction score
do yourself a favor and countersink all 9 holes and the use allen head cap screws,they dont break, and come out easy everytime.i still use blue locktite.

Top Bottom