scouts program, someone give me the lowdown... good for kids or glorified church

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience or insite into the Scouts Canada program? i have a 5 year old who were thinking about putting into beavers, just want some more info, where i grew up it was pretty "churchy"

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the people running the particular group your kids involved in. When I was in scouts some 20 years ago it was great. Learned lots, seen lots and had lots of fun. If your involved yourself it may make it more enjoyable for your kid as well. As far as being a church I never found it to be that way. I found it to be a good way to instill a sense of values and respect in young influential minds myself.

Last edited:

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a great program, I've gone through the program from Beavers to Rovers and am currently the area youth commissioner for SW Edmonton. The whole experience depends on the group and leadership team, if your looking for no church influence make sure you join a group sponsored by a parents group or community leauge. You also have the option of attending 2 meeting's with a group for free, so tryout some of the local groups and find which will be the best fit for you. If you have any other questions just ask!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son wentthrough the Beavers, Cubs and Scouts and I was involved as a leader....

We had kids coming from other area's to join our group as the leaders were a group of adults that liked being outside and had several different outdoor skills to teach the kids. We went white water canoeing, white water rafting, camping, built zip lines, hiked all over the province, BC and into the NWT. Taught mountain climbing, learned survival skills, swimming, we took a group to P.E.I,we spent winter, cross country skiing, downhill skiing, snow shoeing, tobogganing, building quinces, took avalanche classes, first aid classes, in beavers we built cardboard box mazes, had Marti gras, we built an hunted house and opened it to the public......we even spent time with some business skills because to do all this stuff we had to fund raise......a lot.

It was a lot ofwork but it was a great time and would highly recommend it....

The key is it’s only as good as the leaders.....

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in Scouting from Beavers up through Ventures, so about 10 years total. It's an absolutely great program that unfortunately dies off in my home town (Trochu) after the leaders got tired of little-to-no input or help from parents.

Like Iron Horse and Slayer said above, the activities and adventures your kid will go on will stay with him for the rest of his life. At no time withing our group (or when participating with other groups) did I feel like there were any religious overtones. Yes, the kids sing God Save the Queen and other such things we all grew up doing in school anyway (or maybe not anymore?) but it was never a priority within Scouts.

He'll learn teamwork and social interaction skills as well as a sense of respect and values that will be a big help as he grows up.

Top Bottom