School me on shock repair.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
2020 Expert, front shocks are the stock KYB's. The shaft on the left one is shorter than the right one; like 2" or 5 cm shorter. I don't think they are adjustable? Do they leak oil? I haven't noticed any oil on the floor. Is this a dealer rebuild and do they consider shocks a "wear item" and no warranty? Thanks in advance.............

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2020 Expert, front shocks are the stock KYB's. The shaft on the left one is shorter than the right one; like 2" or 5 cm shorter. I don't think they are adjustable? Do they leak oil? I haven't noticed any oil on the floor. Is this a dealer rebuild and do they consider shocks a "wear item" and no warranty? Thanks in advance.............

Are they removed from the sled doug? Or are you noticing this with them still mounted on the sled?

Last edited:

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds more like a sacked spring, shocks do not hold the sled up. Swap them side to side if you want to verify.

Most likely considered wear items by BRP.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good chance you need shocks rebuilt
Pull shocks off remove springs, with the shock shaft up push down on the top of the shock,
Does it return to fully extended? If no they need rebuilding
When pushing down on shock is it an even push ( not easier than harder ) if the feel is not linear you need a rebuild
When pushing down on the shock when you let it come back up do you hear any noise at the end of the stroke ( almost fully extended ) The noise is air going through orifice
Shock needs rebuilt
Kyb typically uses about a 2w oil and doesn't last long, lots of rebuilders use a 5w or a 10w oil that lasts way longer

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You used the words "they/them". Can't one be worked on or rebuilt?

If it is a sacked spring than its possible to replace one, I dont recommend just changing one tho, same as the shock. If the dealer cannot help with warranty, than both front shocks should be serviced.

Also if there is a seal gone in the valving, the shock will not return from a compressed state without the spring installed.

Does that particular side seem bouncy??? Bad shocks will bounce on the spring.

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had the stocky KYB’s rebuilt on my 2015 XM as I was bottoming out and noticed it was leaning to the left without weight on it sitting in the garage. Anyway took them to Matt at MB Suspension and no more lean and they’re better than new!

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aluminum shock bodies pollute the oil very quickly, the down side to L/W rebuildable shocks. After the first season most people would not believe how bad the shock oil is & the effect on their performance. For this reason most owners would be better off with steel bodied shocks & run them for years of excellent performance. This would not be acceptable due to the hype of X package spring only sleds LOL!

So yes the shocks are ready for a freshen, is that the reasons it leans........no. Springs hold the sled up, just like your truck.

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aluminum shock bodies pollute the oil very quickly, the down side to L/W rebuildable shocks. After the first season most people would not believe how bad the shock oil is & the effect on their performance. For this reason most owners would be better off with steel bodied shocks & run them for years of excellent performance. This would not be acceptable due to the hype of X package spring only sleds LOL!

So yes the shocks are ready for a freshen, is that the reasons it leans........no. Springs hold the sled up, just like your truck.

Well all I can say is I had my springs cranked to 4 and could bottom out the shocks just by using my body weight on the side that was leaning. After having the shocks rebuilt, nothing done to the springs, now set on 2, I can’t bottom them out.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pm shockman on here he is in kamloops and very good pricing on a rebuild
the stock skidoo oil is crap

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock KYBs with only about 800 km were bagged out would bottom easy . Enzo rebuild 1500 km later still great. I don't know if it's the different oil or better charge but they work much better than new.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are wanting to do a little work remove the front shocks & take off the springs. Measure the free length & compare, then get your bathroom scale & set it up in your drill press.

What you are going to do is measure lbs/inch, that is your spring rate. These spec's are readily available, I can post up if you would like. This will very quickly tell you if one of the springs is sacked or sagged.

Then you can also cycle the shock's & compare the compression & rebound. They are charged with 300lbs of nitrogen, how they rebound will tell if the charge is low. Would not be a bad idea to freshen them being that you have them off & disassembled. You would be surprised how contaminated the oil is, disassemble the shim stack & clean. Reassemble with new oil & re charge.

As mentioned by another poster, if one spring is bad replace both. The reason is springs take set from new & a few rides settle them in, best to be matched.

Top Bottom