Save $50 AST1- Calgary, Red Deer, Edm, G.P., Peace River, Dawson Crk, Valemt, Fernie

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Last few classes of the season.

ZacsSchedule.jpg

Psst...pass it along, $50 Discount for SnowandMud members to complete the AST1 Class and Field session.
Just enter SnwMud50 in the 'Special Code' box on the shopping cart page.

SnowandMudCoupon.jpg

Remember that past Zac's students can use refresher discounts of up to $150/p. for details on discounts.

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
I just ran across this video clip. It is from Montana. Seriously weak foundation from the shallow snowpack in this bulletin region. The shallow snow and cool temps have led to changes to the snow crystals to create depth hoar and large facets. Super sugary and super weak. The extended column test that they demonstrate in the video clip is normally performed on a block of snow that is 30cm by 90 cm, but the forecasters almost doubled the length of the column to 175cm to highlight how seriously unstable the snowpack was in the area. The Extended Column test is one of the tests that we demonstrate in the AST Field sessions. It is a great test to help us appreciate the possibility of an avalanche propagating away from the trigger spot. Basically, a test to see whether the dominos are connected and how easily they might tip over once they get started.

EETC6 Montana Avy Guys YouTube clip.jpg
January 4 video GNFAC - Super extended Column Test

If you haven't already signed up to receive avalanche bulletins by email or through a smart phone app, .

Things are pretty wild this weekend in the Lizard Range if you are headed to the areas nearby to Fernie, BC. Not sure where the Lizard Range is? How about the Purcells? CLICK HERE to view the CAC Public Avalanche Bulletin Map overlayed onto Google Maps.
Locate nearby towns and road systems to clarify the Bulletin boundaries.
670.jpg

Enjoy the warmer temps this temps this weekend. Wow...pretty darn cold the past few days....lucky I had some inside jobs to do! ;-)

Last edited:

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well heck.... sorry i didn't see this sooner... had mine booked early too, i was at the Calgary January 15th class @ da blackfoot and then hit Golden field class on the 21'st Chris and Billy were excellent, A++ for the whole deal, the field course was what put it all together, couldn't imagen only taken JUST the classroom session. I will recommend Zacs to ANYONE that wants to take their Avy training!

I was Daynon in the class too, see you around!

Mayfly

Reaction score
Thanks Lori,
Just finished the classroom portion of the ATS 1 Course in Edmonton with my son. Last course was in 2007, yeah I know that I should be refreshing sooner, but was glad to take along my riding partner Sage (son). Lori was great as usual, her enthusiasm is contagious, even staying late to show us Tracker beacon owners mutiple rescues. Always learning something new and she is a great teacher . I recommend her to anyone wanting to be enlightened about the hazards we face when venturing into the mountains.
If you have completed the classroom, make it a point to put it all together and do the field session it is very informative and the snow pit tests are an eye opener. The rescue drills are also great and will give you the skills necessary to help out if the need arises. Grab your riding partners and make it a point to do the course, it only takes up a couple of days, but the benefits are immense.
Thank you Lori.

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lori,
Just finished the classroom portion of the ATS 1 Course in Edmonton with my son. Last course was in 2007, yeah I know that I should be refreshing sooner, but was glad to take along my riding partner Sage (son). Lori was great as usual, her enthusiasm is contagious, even staying late to show us Tracker beacon owners mutiple rescues. Always learning something new and she is a great teacher . I recommend her to anyone wanting to be enlightened about the hazards we face when venturing into the mountains.
If you have completed the classroom, make it a point to put it all together and do the field session it is very informative and the snow pit tests are an eye opener. The rescue drills are also great and will give you the skills necessary to help out if the need arises. Grab your riding partners and make it a point to do the course, it only takes up a couple of days, but the benefits are immense.
Thank you Lori.
i totally agree there is a lot to learn looking forward to the feild class in valmont feb 24 thank's lori

Top Bottom