Sat Phone.

Freerider

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone would know where to puchase an affordable Sat Phone, not lookin for a cheap one but one with a price tag that makes sense. Little extra insurance.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I have one I can sell you, but let me tell you one thing is depending on what company it is with gets no service in some mountain areas. Is that crap or what. I have one and use it everywhere no problems, so last yr I had it activated for winter and noticed a few place in valemount that I had no service, so watch for that....(global star)

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you run Globalstar you might as well leave it at home if you come here. They will not work 80% of the time, no matter what they tell you on the phone. We own two of them:(

Yesterday, clear blue bird day. Really needed to phone out and Globalstar would not connect. Turned on the irridum and instant service.

my .02

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our group used a globalstar sat phone for the past few years, had really tough time getting service in any area. They always said they were working on improving the system, but it never came.

We just bought an Iridium sat phone, took it into Kakwa for the week, and we had excellent reception every time we turned it on. we could text message the families when ever we wanted to let them know we were okay, and a nice phone call home at the end of each day.

They are a little expensive, just under $2000 to get set up, and just under $2 per minute to use it. and its worth every penny.

Dean

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our group used a globalstar sat phone for the past few years, had really tough time getting service in any area. They always said they were working on improving the system, but it never came.

We just bought an Iridium sat phone, took it into Kakwa for the week, and we had excellent reception every time we turned it on. we could text message the families when ever we wanted to let them know we were okay, and a nice phone call home at the end of each day.

They are a little expensive, just under $2000 to get set up, and just under $2 per minute to use it. and its worth every penny.

Dean

WOW that is a little spendy. $2000 for the set up,What is the monthly on that?

BigBuckHunter

Reaction score
I have 2 Iridium's - both work well. They are ~2k to buy though + $45-60/month + $1.50/minute. They are $50/week to rent + $2.00/minute. They are about the only decent ones out there as far right now.

BigBuckHunter

Reaction score
Don't know where you can find a used one but you'll definately want to get an Iridium - don't let anyone talk you into a Globalstar - I have 2 Iridium's - both work well. They are ~2k to buy though + $45-60/month + $1.50/minute. They are $50/week to rent + $2.00/minute. They are about the only decent ones out there as far right now.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's because they have already sold.

It says the sale is in progress, although it is on the already sold link, there's a conflict there, I just wanted to save anybody who was interested the effort of trying to buy them.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It says the sale is in progress, although it is on the already sold link, there's a conflict there, I just wanted to save anybody who was interested the effort of trying to buy them.

Sold For:
High Bid:
In Progress
$409.99
Item:
Motorola Satellite Phone #9
Posted:
29-January-2010 @ 2:49 p.m. Eastern Time
Sold On:
08-February-2010
Sale Account:
R9OT07236-SE-10-NRCAN-09

closed today. in progress means that the winning bidder has to be notified and payment has to be received. It is a little confusing. have to be careful with government surplus. lot of garbage out there. It's getting surplussed for a reason.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sold For:
High Bid:
In Progress
$409.99
Item:
Motorola Satellite Phone #9
Posted:
29-January-2010 @ 2:49 p.m. Eastern Time
Sold On:
08-February-2010
Sale Account:
R9OT07236-SE-10-NRCAN-09

closed today. in progress means that the winning bidder has to be notified and payment has to be received. It is a little confusing. have to be careful with government surplus. lot of garbage out there. It's getting surplussed for a reason.

Thanks, I think though this site might have some interesting stuff come up from time to time.

Top Bottom