Sat Phone/ spot

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used my spot as far north as Yellowknife with no problems. hit the "OK" while moving down the highway on the dash of the KW and it sent. used it lots fishing on the Mackenzie River near Ft. Providence NWT and also at Bistcho Lake, all of these places are a lot farther north than Meziadin. maybe there is some trouble with the terrain in the places you mentioned?

whitell

Reaction score
on the same lines as a spot is a delorme inreach, uses the inmarsat network, pairs with iphone and android, and has two way text capability. granted a sat phone would be better but it is a much cheaper alternative.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used my spot as far north as Yellowknife with no problems. hit the "OK" while moving down the highway on the dash of the KW and it sent. used it lots fishing on the Mackenzie River near Ft. Providence NWT and also at Bistcho Lake, all of these places are a lot farther north than Meziadin. maybe there is some trouble with the terrain in the places you mentioned?

Think the orig model SPOT had some problems but the connect has been working good.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on the same lines as a spot is a delorme inreach, uses the inmarsat network, pairs with iphone and android, and has two way text capability. granted a sat phone would be better but it is a much cheaper alternative.

Thats why I went with it cheaper than the sat phone and alot smaller.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's pretty rugged terrain i guess. The iridium and my garmin gps work fine in same area. My unit is from 2008 ish so perhaps it took a hit or is worn out. In any case guess don't really trust it. Sounds like the newer ones are working better and the big thing is 2 way communication which the newer ones address.

hurtinalbertin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry a spot and sat phone. On the sat phone I used to pay $50 a month unlimited but found it didn't us it enough(check messages). Now I just pay as I go, no service charges just calls $15-20 month in winter and nothing in the summer.

f7sp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spoke with network innovations in Calgary about the sat phone options. They have the isatphone as mentioned above as well as the iridium 9555 that is more expensive.$ 1250 .and as far as reception, they said the iridium is better for mountainous terrain because it operates on low earth orbit satellites compared to the isatphone which runs on geostationary satellites, and your look angle to the satellite is blocked by mountains. Clear as mud

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can rent a satphone? I really only need one for a week or two.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Network Innovations in calgary rents them. Once you are set up they can ship it right to you.
I deal with Steve Laurie
403-287-5076

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new Iridium phones are great. Much better than the previous version.

I find the Spot can be hit or miss up here (YT). There has been more than a handful of 'check in's' that don't make it to the Department of War and Finance, despite the green light on the sent icon. And tracking KILLS those lithium AAA's quick.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Turn your beacon to search and run your iPhone underneath it.... If that doesn't validate it for you I don't know what will!! The I phone spot should NOT be used on a sled and you will hear that in any course you take... Weather you put it on your sled or on your body WHO KNOWS where either one of those things wind up in the event of a slide.... Say you get buried with your beacon close to your spot in your sled... Goodnight because it's sending your friends on a wild goose chase also screwing it up for other that might be buried... Not worth the risk of convenience if you ask me.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello.....Valemount hotel? Do you deliver?

I do have Valemount Hotel and Yellowhead Helicopters in my speed dial on the Sat Pone. We could order up a case of beer from Valemount Hotel and have it flown up to us in upper Westridge (nice and close so chopper will not be so expensive) put it all on VISA, film it and sell to BRP, VISA and VARDA. VISA could say "our card works anywhere", BRP could say our riders will go to any "extreme" to get what they want and VARDA could say "you can get anything you want in Valemount".

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I do have Valemount Hotel and Yellowhead Helicopters in my speed dial on the Sat Pone. We could order up a case of beer from Valemount Hotel and have it flown up to us in upper Westridge (nice and close so chopper will not be so expensive) put it all on VISA, film it and sell to BRP, VISA and VARDA. VISA could say "our card works anywhere", BRP could say our riders will go to any "extreme" to get what they want and VARDA could say "you can get anything you want in Valemount".

Roy.... Will you marry me?

and that's all on Roy's VISA.......................right!

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Sorry Roy... I don't have a credit card... Nor have I ever! Looks like its your visa buddy.

Top Bottom