Saskatchewan Trails

Mill Philler

Reaction score
I have logged only about 3500 km total on ATVs and maybe 10000 various dirt bike km, 80% sk 20% AB (so I am no expert) but I have observed lately that to protect the Qu'appelle valey in Saskatchewan, ATV tires need to be limited to 1" or under. At one time there were very large fines (for the time) for driving dune buggies and dirt bikes on the treeless grassy sun exposed hills. Uncontrolled ATV usage is ruining the natural beauty of these hills that attracted the ATV riders in the first place. The sad thing is it is easy to plan these trails to minimize the damage to extremely delicate dry grassland vegitation. ....eww.... shiver, I sounded like a lefty there. Seriously though, Saskatchewan, please put a limit on tread depth to 1".

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seriously though, Saskatchewan, please put a limit on tread depth to 1".

I honestly believe this to be a terrific compromise to the current discussion. If a max tire size and lug depth was put in place I think this could be something that would ease the pressure on the trail system and limit the environmental impact. Let's face it, telling ATV'ers they can't use trails outright is unrealistic and will never happen. Working together to come up with a workable solution will be to the benefit of us all and I think something like limiting tire sizes and lug depths would be worth putting on the table for the SATVA in trying to work with the SSA. I would really like to know the honest opinions of some of the SATVA/SaskhardcoreATV people on here in regards to this limited tire size thought? Is it something that would ever be considered?

Megrizzly

Reaction score
Look back 10 years ago, there was nowhere near the damage to trails that there is today. There were a few guys with aggressive tires on their bikes in those days, but they were nowhere near the size, lug, or aggressiveness as today. Would limiting tire selection be the cats meow? No, but it would help.

More importantly is common sense and respect. If the trail is too wet, it's too f%&king wet. Staying off the trails until it dries is what's really needed. Let the grass grow as well, as it anchors the dirt, and prevents erosion.

Pick up your garbage. It's a no brainer. If I drove to saskatoon, unloaded my bike in front of a homeowner with an atv, and proceeded to do donuts on his grass. Then emptied my garbage on his lawn as well, how do you think he would feel? I'm Not saying people from the city are blah, blah or guys who drive A certain bike are blanks. People don't like to be dished their own ch!t back.

The trails are there for enjoyment. But it doesn't mean that you can rip the ch!t out of them or disgrace them with garbage.
You have to be responsible and accountable for your actions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pup

Reaction score
I honestly believe this to be a terrific compromise to the current discussion. If a max tire size and lug depth was put in place I think this could be something that would ease the pressure on the trail system and limit the environmental impact. Let's face it, telling ATV'ers they can't use trails outright is unrealistic and will never happen. Working together to come up with a workable solution will be to the benefit of us all and I think something like limiting tire sizes and lug depths would be worth putting on the table for the SATVA in trying to work with the SSA. I would really like to know the honest opinions of some of the SATVA/SaskhardcoreATV people on here in regards to this limited tire size thought? Is it something that would ever be considered?

I'll add my 2 cents to that topic. I do not believe that to be the solution.

I believe it is the way people drive, not the tread depth. I could get thru a mud hole in 2 wd, going slow whereas someone with stock tires has to go thru fast, in 4 wd, punching the throttle, tires spinning, and he will get stuck before I do. Out of those 2 scenarios, who is going to cause more damage??? I'm pretty sure the stock bike will.

But that being said, I could throw alot more mud, go into deeper areas etc. It is all in how you drive.

idler

Reaction score
To be honest, I can see this as something that will be eventually comming, if the SK gov. is caught in the middle between those who want to ban us, and us. Banning, I don't think will ever happen, as ATVing is a sport that is exploding right now with numbers, and too many bussiness's would be affected, as well as SK tourism. So like said before, limiting a quads capability would be a "in the middle" comprimise. Would I like to see this happen? Of course not, but I really think it will eventually happen. I've actually argued this before with a few that getting plates for our quads would open the door to the government for putting such restrictions in place, havn't I pup, lol?

Pup

Reaction score
To be honest, I can see this as something that will be eventually comming, if the SK gov. is caught in the middle between those who want to ban us, and us. Banning, I don't think will ever happen, as ATVing is a sport that is exploding right now with numbers, and too many bussiness's would be affected, as well as SK tourism. So like said before, limiting a quads capability would be a "in the middle" comprimise. Would I like to see this happen? Of course not, but I really think it will eventually happen. I've actually argued this before with a few that getting plates for our quads would open the door to the government for putting such restrictions in place, havn't I pup, lol?

Oh, you were calling what you were doing "arguing your side?". I thought you were trying to make me laugh. bahahahahahha
By putting your plates on a sled or vehicle, there are no restrictions on what size motor you have, or size tires. So I don't see plates being any restricing factor, but that is a conversation for another time.

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we as atvers are very respectfull of the trails and the work that has gone into them so far...we do trail maintenece .remove trees pick garbage and enjoy the trails as much on my atv as I do on my sled.We are very willing to pay our part and do are part to keep the trails passable and usable for everyone.Want to and will find a solution to this issue. POinting fingers and blam game is childishand uncalled for...I am a sledder as well and have seen first hand the damage done to trails fences and warm up shacks by sledders as well as atvers ...There are a few that have no respect for anything that will never change >>Forget about them and lets work together to make it a great trail system..We are trying to get plates for our atvs approved so we can also contribute mony to the trail system.Maby if the sled clubs would also ask the government to have atvs registerd that would help. We all know the more we work together the better and faster this will go.

I am the president of northern trails ATV club feel free to contact me anytime regarding this issue

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are taken directly from the SSA agreement.

As stated in Snowmobile trail agreement on page 2: 2.2.2 in the agreement says public access will not be restricted in any manner.

And As stated in Trail Development Agreement on Page 4 – Access Restrictions, Under no circumstances will public access be restricted in any manner. Within the Provincial forest and Provincial Parks, all trails are free to be used by any member of the public.

Read more:
Maybe that is why they are ASKING, not telling.
In 11 years of annual trail cleaning and maintenance, I have seen maybe 10 people come out and help that ride quads and not sleds.
For the most part, when they run into trees on the trails in the summer they can't even be bothered to remove the log from the whole trail, they cut a path the width of the quad and leave the rest for someone else to clean up.
I realize there are a lot of responsible riders out there, but as a community, ATV riders need to step up. The fact is that wheeled off road vehicles do immeasurably more damage to the landscape than snowmobiles and the explosion in popularity means that damage is increasing exponentially. Folks that have been taking care of areas for decades are seeing their hard work destroyed by others that do little or nothing to repair or mitigate the damage.

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really believe the SSa has the right to take owner ship of the trails. These trails are out there for everyone to use and enjoy. With that said I also don't believe atv'r have a right to go out and destroy them ether. I am from the chitek lake area that kidder is talking about. Over the last five or so years our trail system has been basically destroyed by atv and utvs. I am also to blame for this. It has now got so bad that people come up for the weekend to ride and if you don't have outlaw tires or silverbacks you really can't go any where. Now because of this atv motor bikes and what not are ridding around town all day. So this year my father In law and his brother and myself have spent close to fifty grand on the purchas of a mini hoe, skid steer and a grader to fix these trails up. This money is all out of our own pockets. Now what really gets me is I was out all day Saturday building bridges filling in low areas and what not. I came across an area that I had spent two days out fixing up so we could pass the grader and found that some dick head decided it was more fun to just destroy all the work I had done previosly. Then I find out from the local store owner that some guy was in the store complaining the trails are rough and when is the snowmobile club plan on fixing this or I am not coming back here to ride. Well if that's your attitude then good. The biggest problem I see is a lack of education. We need everyone to work together not sit here and argue like a bunch of kids. So if some one could let me know what it takes to start an atv club that would be great.

Top Bottom