Sagging Ride

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my '10 Dragon 163 with about 1700kms, I have noticed that my rear suspension is not as perky as it used to be. The rear actually drops down about 6 to 8" after topping out the suspension and then letting it settle at rest.
Note: I have a loaded up large CB soft bag and 10L of fuel on my tunnel and I tip the 'Toledo's' at around 275#.
I have never removed a track, worked on rear suspension of a sled and I am not really sure if it is the springs or one/both the couple shocks that is the root on my problem.
I have had a few rough rides getting in and out of Renshaw and some flat land drift busting... Skid is straight front susp is OK.
I am fairly handy with tools, just want to know where to start looking first to where to focus first and... if I have the means to afford the dealer shop cost, would it be better to take to them first?
Thanks in advance.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my '10 Dragon 163 with about 1700kms, I have noticed that my rear suspension is not as perky as it used to be. The rear actually drops down about 6 to 8" after topping out the suspension and then letting it settle at rest.
Note: I have a loaded up large CB soft bag and 10L of fuel on my tunnel and I tip the 'Toledo's' at around 275#.
I have never removed a track, worked on rear suspension of a sled and I am not really sure if it is the springs or one/both the couple shocks that is the root on my problem.
I have had a few rough rides getting in and out of Renshaw and some flat land drift busting... Skid is straight front susp is OK.
I am fairly handy with tools, just want to know where to start looking first to where to focus first and... if I have the means to afford the dealer shop cost, would it be better to take to them first?
Thanks in advance.

prolly need to recharge rear shock if its walker evans

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
prolly need to recharge rear shock if its walker evans

Agreed, just pull the rear shocks out and get them rebuilt, pretty cheap fix (do the fronts well your at it). If you not bottoming out the shocks its not a big deal, sag is normal (as much as people try and get rid of it).

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks PJ, how much of a trick is it to get out? It looks like EW kit (red and silver) for both shocks.
How does one recharge? Is it like a motor cross bike front shock (seals. Oil, springs, etc?)
Other Notes: Tension spring is cranked right to the top

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed, just pull the rear shocks out and get them rebuilt, pretty cheap fix (do the fronts well your at it). If you not bottoming out the shocks its not a big deal, sag is normal (as much as people try and get rid of it).
Definitely had some bottoming out on the Renshaw ride in and out.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those WE shocks are so nice when they are freshly rebuilt. you can get them rebuilt at any motorsports shop. the total rebuild of all 4 shocks will be around 400 to 500$ you might want to track down some coil overs from a pro.
2013-12-19 16.40.56.jpg

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks PJ, how much of a trick is it to get out? It looks like EW kit (red and silver) for both shocks.
How does one recharge? Is it like a motor cross bike front shock (seals. Oil, springs, etc?)
Other Notes: Tension spring is cranked right to the top

I always pull skid. Loosen track off and 4 bolts and its out. Dealer will recharge. Walker evans on newer pros is a nice upgrade and alot cheaper to recharge when need be. Just a thought

HAYDENC

Reaction score
from that photo up above you put new pro shocks on your iq?? i was just going to start a new thread asking!

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.
check the IQ section, there should be a part number for a stiffer torsion spring, had the same problem with mine, that fixed the problem

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.

Quote "Use these ones. They work great.

Part numbers
7042079-067 Spring, Torsion, LH, STD [.375/47 °]
7042080-067 Spring, Torsion, RH, STD [.375/47 °]

They have a tighter angle on them which increases the preload. I put them on my wifes IQ and my buddys 09 D8 and both now have zero sag. The iq has about 6" more suspension now too." Quote

copied that from the thread, think it was posted by "powerage", pretty sure those are the ones I bought

Complexd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem, sled was handed down to me from my father and we are both on the heavier side and have never looked at the rear suspension yet. Over time the spring starts to balloon out, but i didnt realize recharging the shock was a solution. Are recharging the shock and replacing the spring a good combo?

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
yea mines **** too , I pulled the furthest rear one and it had zero pre-charge in it. I made a little mod on my front 2 so I can recharge them at work , it has aircraft tire valves on them now, was going to do the same for the rears , then I carry a mountain bike shock pump and I can recharge with that if low , I initially charge them with nitrogen though. But I have had a problem getting the bottom 2 bolts on the forward shock off , the one side just spins does anyone else have this problem , you can hold the other side and it still just spins its weird let me know if you guys know a trick.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered why they don't machine 2 flat spots on that shaft to get a wrench on it. The only thing that worked for me is an air impact wrench or maybe a good drill with a socket adapter. You have to spin it fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
ok yea I thought it was wack too, I was spining it with an impact , I got the one side off , the left started smoking though so I stopped it moved a bit maybe 1/4 inch , guess I'll give it another shot.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you get one side out use a bolt the same size and screw nut onto bolt.
Spin nut all the way on.
Re- install bolt and then tighten up jam nut to hold things tight.
Spin other side out and then loosen jam nut on other side and remove bolt.

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
Thanks man that worked ! Pretty stupid design if you ask me, but then again engineers don't make anything with a mechanic in mind.

Top Bottom