S-36 on freeride

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm considering the S-36 front end package but I'd like to know if I can continue to use the kyb 40 piggyback shocks. If I can will they perform any different? Anything else I might need to know?

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A guy I work with said him and his buddies did it and the front end just sits a little higher. If I were to just do that would the front end being, say 1" higher, have any negative effect?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A guy I work with said him and his buddies did it and the front end just sits a little higher. If I were to just do that would the front end being, say 1" higher, have any negative effect?

It would handle very weird. Skis would be toed in severely. But other than that I can't see any other negative effects...not sure if the reservoir would have enough clearance on a hard bottom out? And you may have to losen your limiter strap because it would have so much extra ski pressure as more of the track would be off the ground. Which in turn effects climbing ability. I'm just shooting in the dark here sory I know your proby looking for first hand experience.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they shorten the shock rods then?

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they shorten the shock rods then?

As far as I know they did not. And he said it bolted up no problem but I never heard any follow up.

So I believe my answer is that the shocks would need to be shortened for proper performance. Anybody have any shop they would recommend for such a task?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as I know they did not. And he said it bolted up no problem but I never heard any follow up.

So I believe my answer is that the shocks would need to be shortened for proper performance. Anybody have any shop they would recommend for such a task?

Any bike shop could probably do that for you. There is a guy south of Calgary called Enzo who is a shock expert I am told. Alot of racers use him to do there shocks. Maybe someone on the site knows him.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rookie question but could you not just adjust everything (spring, comp, damp) to allow for a bit more sag?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rookie question but could you not just adjust everything (spring, comp, damp) to allow for a bit more sag?

You could lower it by backing off the preload,(Compresion and Damping have nothing to do with sag ) but you will probably damage the shock if you bottom hard. You should get the shorter shaft.

They are pretty easy to rebuild your self if you have the right tools. Biggest thing is the nitrogen bottle and regulator.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i would look into the shock rod length first. What is the standard length on a S-36....17" center to center? Measure up your KYB-40s to confirm. To me i think they would just move the mount point on the lower a-arms for the extra width.

maximus

Reaction score
Tim at Enzo in High River is really good give him a shout. Have had a few sled suspensions revalved and re-sprung by him.

Top Bottom