RV Solar Systems

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried to search solar systems and it seems a lot of threads have a bit of information
Post it here…
1. What is required to just keep batteries alive and a propane fridge
2. What’s required for the new Rv fridge
3. What’s required to run the complete camper

Post away….
Thanks

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It depends.....

That being said for a standard camper spring fall is the worst when running the furnace as it pulls a lot of power and the days are short so generation from the panel is lowest.

If your running an inverter or other large draw itens then those loads will need to be calculated.

IMO a 300 watt panel with a good MPPT charge controller is probably the best option for most situations. A good 300ish watt panel can be had for $250, and a top of the line Victron controller for another $200. Amazon sells the charge controllers, and Solar Superstore in Edmonton will be able to get you a panel.

The kits places like Canadian Tire have are nowhere near what that would be for output and cost as much or more.

Running a 12 volt fridge off-grid is another matter, and requires more solar output and larger batteries to store that much energy.

My system is a 330watt Canadian solar panel with a Victron 100/20 MPPT controller, with 2 6 volt golf cart batteries. I also installed a Victron 375 watt inverter to power the TV, charge laptops, phones, cordless chainsaw batteries without running the generator. I also built myself this tilting frame out of aluminum angle and flatbar, I've yet to tilt the panel up when camping though, kind of a PITA to setup just for a weekend.

PXL_20210416_002957043.MP.jpg

PXL_20210414_233243350.MP.jpg

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will really depend on your use. If you are just running the fridge, you could probably get away with like 150W, but if you are going through the hassle of doing it you might as well get some real panels. My suggestion to everyone doing solar, is go overboard on the panels that way you don't always have to worry about everything being perfectly efficient. All the tilt kits and everything do help, but if you just overpanel you will never need to worry about them being perfectly clean, or facing perfectly etc. I put 530W on my trailer, with proper MPPT controllers for around 600 bucks with all cabling, sealant, remote mounted displays etc. We've had really good luck with the EPEVER brand MPPT's which are very aggressively priced vs a victron setup etc. Victron is a better converter, but for the average consumer, it doesn't matter.

Bulk panel cost should be around 50C/Watt. If you can get a friend who deals with wholesalers you can oftentimes do even better than this.

If you've got the roof space, buy a 40a converter, two 60 cell panels, and call it a day.The panels are much much more efficient now even than a few years ago, but most of what you are finding from suppliers are panels that are 5-7 years old. A new 60Cell is closer to 380W, even mine that I bought 4 years ago are only 265 ea.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me, I've designed plenty of solar setups for work ranging from small oilfield sites to large 0.5MW buildings.

Nothing crazy really for my setup, but works pretty well!
org_a81c52167668f622_1595170258000.jpg

Last edited:

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
@blubbles where are you finding panels at 50c/watt? I'm trying to price 4.5kw of panels right now and 70c/watt seems to be as good as I can get.
Normally I deal with HES PV out of Calgary. You should be able to do much better than 70C a watt... Thats pretty steep honestly. It's been a little bit since i've bought panels and I understand they are a bit in shortage but you should be able to get into the 50s for sure.

When we were buying containers we could get into the low 40s.

HES wont deal with a consumer though, they require you to be a business.... and they really sort of need you to know what your looking for.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 2-6v deep cycle batteries and a 100 go-power panel. I have a permanent site that does not have power or water. WE start camping in May till end of September

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an older Samlex 150w kit and 2 6V trojans on my old 34ft class A. I do most of my camping in May-June and Sept-Oct. the Furnace running a fair bit at night is my main use of power, all lighting led and fridge on propane. The only reason I start the gen is so the wife can make her coffee in the am and batteries are usually back to 100% by early afternoon with the solar. I also don't go camping to stay in the motorhome like some people seem to doso no inverter to run tv, stereo ect.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So are these even worth working with, I was told they were in working order when I got them 3-4 years ago

This kinda of thing is out of me wheel house

Wire them in series and hook them up to a charge controller, as long as that charge controller is good for 80 volts or more on the input side. Or wire them in parallel and hook them up to a charge controller rated for 25volts or more.

If one panel gets shaded the output of the whole string though will fall to almost zero, so they should all be setup on the same surface pointing the same direction.

Honestly though they aren't worth much, $250 will buy you a single panel with a much higher output,

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 2-100w with a 30a MPPT and a 3rd panel for spare should i need it, also run 2-12v deep cycle battery's and the fridge on propane because fridges eat alot of power and i don't have the time to do the conversion here but they do. i can run the furnace all night if wanted but just set it for 65 or 67 and all is good and anything else i want with the inverter. Like above said i don't camp inside i camp outside so no tv's just laptop and stereo and books and a very good pillow and mattress. i have never ran out of power either. just my 0.02:)
Nice thread start though:)

Last edited:

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a propane fridge and a bit of battery use (with an inverter) you’d prob get away with a smaller 200-300 watt setup but you’ll need to do some math on your energy consumption.

Not sure about the 12v fridge as I haven’t looked into how much they draw.

I have a 42’ non toy hauler 5er with a residential fridge. 18 cu ft with top freezer.
My set up is:
2x265 60 cell panels.
40amp mppt charge controller w/battery monitor. (Max input of 510w total)
4x6v (gc2) batteries from peavey mart (down to 2 now but will be replacing them with L16’s).
2000w pure sine wave inverter w/automatic transfer switch.
dv breakers (1 in 1 out for safety/maintenance) - don’t use an inline fuse if you can help it. A bit more money but definitely worth it.
3600w generator for back up.

Inverter only runs the fridge and an exterior plug for the pit boss smoker.

AC and furnace only run on 110. Almost never use them (unless it’s 40° out)

I typically turn on the fridge in the spring (late April/early May) and it doesn’t get shut off until September, this is only running off the batteries/inverter. If the kids want to watch a movie on a crappy day I’ll fire up the generator but don’t normally need to use the generator very often to charge. My folks check to see if the inverter is on and check the battery levels if we’ve had 4 days of overcast. The inverter will shut off at low voltage (set at 12.5v). If they drop down they’ll fire up the generator for 3-4 hours. We’re good at not draining the batteries when we’re using it and I’ve gone 14 days without starting the generator.

It’s better to oversized your system rather than being constantly undersized and cutting back. The charge controllers will only charge the batteries so much. Just remember that any type of shade can drastically reduce a panels charging ability. My panels are 2 feet apart running in line lengthways in the middle of my roof. I will be adding 2 more panels, one at the mid rear of my roof and one closer to the front. With the L16’s I shouldn’t need to fire up the generator any more unless I want to run the ac. I’ll also be adding another smaller inverter (for the fridge) and utilizing my existing inverter to run multiple outlets inside the trailer. 1 tv, coffee maker, and furnace.

Last edited:

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ll get some picture and model/sku numbers of my setup for this thread when I make it out to the trailer in the spring.

I’m also going to do a solar setup for a buddy that’s got a bumper pull toy hauler with a 3 way fridge in the spring. Think we’ll do a 300 watt solar mppt setup for him with a 2000w inverter for a few plugs. I throw that on here too.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there is anyone in the calgary area that would like to install one on my trailer. PM me.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ll get some picture and model/sku numbers of my setup for this thread when I make it out to the trailer in the spring.

I’m also going to do a solar setup for a buddy that’s got a bumper pull toy hauler with a 3 way fridge in the spring. Think we’ll do a 300 watt solar mppt setup for him with a 2000w inverter for a few plugs. I throw that on here too.
That would be great

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I tried to search solar systems and it seems a lot of threads have a bit of information
Post it here…
1. What is required to just keep batteries alive and a propane fridge
2. What’s required for the new Rv fridge
3. What’s required to run the complete camper

Post away….
Thanks

Did you ask Hadley about his system he had

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you ask Hadley about his system he had

Yes. I am not spending that much.
Only want to keep batteries charged to keep fridge on propane.
Will run generator while camping.
Just want to keep propane fridge on when not running generator or trailer is parked with food in it

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes. I am not spending that much.
Only want to keep batteries charged to keep fridge on propane.
Will run generator while camping.
Just want to keep propane fridge on when not running generator or trailer is parked with food in it
Medler used to have a friend.................

Chris Miller I believe it was who specialized in solar stuff, maybe Mike can hook you up with his info, I don't have his business card anymore.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Just buy a panel and a charge controller and mount on a portable stand that you just set out in a sunny spot when you get where your going. Some jumper cable clamps on the end of 50’ of cable and your good to go. If your tucked in the bush a lot of time you don’t get the sun you need to accomplish anything. For just keeping camper batteries charged a simple 10A sun saver controller is lots.

Top Bottom