RV Paint Protection

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest issue with nufinish is white residue on black trim or rubber other than that it works really well considering the cost.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Automotive paint and gelcoat are totally different and require different compounds you can go 4-5 times more aggressive on gelcoat which is difficult for average joe to obtain due to demand and liabilities. Link below is where you want to start.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m-marine-fibreglass-restorer-wax-0790208p.html?rrec=true#spc

Wool cutting pad on rotary low rpm. Pay close attention to what you are using, a "polish" removes very mild oxidization and leaves a high shine. Compound is more aggressive cuts deeper but leaves a duller finish for the polish to shine up. Then your top coat of protectant. I am not going to lie to you it is a big undertaking to do a heavily oxidized RV. I did a 36' toy hauler that took close to 40 hrs but it was new looking when it was done.

want to polish another one ?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure. Pm your info I’ve got some openings this next week.
Tried to upload pics. Didn’t work again...

Last edited:

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Automotive paint and gelcoat are totally different and require different compounds you can go 4-5 times more aggressive on gelcoat which is difficult for average joe to obtain due to demand and liabilities. Link below is where you want to start.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m-marine-fibreglass-restorer-wax-0790208p.html?rrec=true#spc

Wool cutting pad on rotary low rpm. Pay close attention to what you are using, a "polish" removes very mild oxidization and leaves a high shine. Compound is more aggressive cuts deeper but leaves a duller finish for the polish to shine up. Then your top coat of protectant. I am not going to lie to you it is a big undertaking to do a heavily oxidized RV. I did a 36' toy hauler that took close to 40 hrs but it was new looking when it was done.
Thank you for these posts. Starting seasonal trailer clean up. Step one remove oxidization!

Attachments

• D31A10DE-68CA-4475-AC8A-CF72DC3D2757.jpeg
    D31A10DE-68CA-4475-AC8A-CF72DC3D2757.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 4B7BFE11-001B-4C19-A2DF-0482B6ACFF94.jpeg
    4B7BFE11-001B-4C19-A2DF-0482B6ACFF94.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 122
  • C52356A0-F3FC-403A-9760-D328D0D0E7F6.jpeg
    C52356A0-F3FC-403A-9760-D328D0D0E7F6.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 7310A345-278A-4BFD-B5F3-067CC93D68D0.jpeg
    7310A345-278A-4BFD-B5F3-067CC93D68D0.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 128

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking good, a couple of suggestions.. if i may? Tape off your decal edges I know it takes a while but they become thin overtime. If you really want it to shine like a mirror... wet sand first then polish it out. Saves a bunch of time as well.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whoever posted the 3m marine polish, thanks for that. What a easy product to use and it restored the front cap on my trailer to brand new, and I did it by hand.
Tried nufinish after on one spot, thinking it would make a bigger difference and stopped. It made no difference and I was not going to waste my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

shockman

Reaction score
Many years of maintaining cars, trucks, boats and rv’s. I have a 2008 truck, 1995 bow rider and a 2010 travel trailer that all look like they could be 2 yrs old. That being said my advice is “ there are no short cuts”! Elbow grease time and proper tools. And good quality products. 3M, McGuire's, and some commercial products are the way to go but you need to research how and what stuff to use as companies like McGuire have way too many products to satisfy the marketing department. Beware of the easy peasy stuff generally does not work for very long. Nufinish! I use it in my tumbler for cleaning brass lol. Just saying 😂

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many years of maintaining cars, trucks, boats and rv’s. I have a 2008 truck, 1995 bow rider and a 2010 travel trailer that all look like they could be 2 yrs old. That being said my advice is “ there are no short cuts”! Elbow grease time and proper tools. And good quality products. 3M, McGuire's, and some commercial products are the way to go but you need to research how and what stuff to use as companies like McGuire have way too many products to satisfy the marketing department. Beware of the easy peasy stuff generally does not work for very long. Nufinish! I use it in my tumbler for cleaning brass lol. Just saying

Try it on your RV before knocking it.
I didn’t believe it until I read many RV forum reviews. It’s easy to apply and remove by hand, and it can be used in direct sunlight. I did my whole RV 2 or three years ago, and it still beads water. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shockman

Reaction score
Whats the best truck polish?
That’s not an easy answer. Assuming your talking about modern base/clear coat it depends very much on the condition. Most marks will be in the clear and depending on depth and amount will dictate coarseness of product to use. McGuire makes all coarseness of compounds and if you have a local parts store that supplies body shops they will have 3M or other quality brands. If you look deep into amazon you can find Mguires products aimed at the commercial market that are much easier to understand. They are in a beige coloured bottle as opposed to the retail pretty black that tends to be combination of cutting compounds. If cutting your should always finish with a final glaze type compound. For longer lasting job finish with a sealer. Wax will give you a better shine but does not last as long. Liquid science McGuire likes to call it lol. I use their sealer but it is hard to find. Ordered online.

shockman

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that if paint is in really good shape there is nothing like clay bar. Lots of hand work but amazing results

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i use McGuire's ceramic spray stuff. Just wondering what people thought.

That turtle wax stuff back in the day worked pretty good, but took all day lol

Top Bottom