RV Fridge Repair in Calgary

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Got an older RV (2001) with a fridge issues.

Fridge doesn't work on 120V, no noise from the compressor. Fridge has power though so I'm thinking the compressor might be seized, or there might be a fuse blown inside the fridge.

Works sometimes on gas, but is so slow to cool down there's no way to tell if its working or not for an hour. Not sure how sensitive they are to being level, we were slightly off level on the last trip and it wouldn't work for most of the trip, yet worked while we were driving... makes no sense.

Anyways, can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive place) to have the fridge checked out in Calgary? Horton RV was suggested but no one answers when I've called.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't have a compressor. They work by heating ammonia. On 120v it's just an electric heating element doing the job. If it works on gas, then there's probably no power to the heating element for any number of reasons. See if there's a wiring diagram on it. That will tell you if there's a fuse somewhere you can check. You can also just plug something else into the plug at the back that the fridge is plugged into to see if there's any power there.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
My last RV's fridge hummed while on 120V, so I just figured they had two separate systems for cooling.

Only time I've ever had the fridge plugged into 120V was when it was on my sloped driveway... so it may work, but just not while on angle on my driveway... Will have to try it out on the flat one day.

Thanks,

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes fridge needs to be as level as possible , that's what wrecks them lots of times, from being used not level

If it's a 3 way fridge, there's the pilot for gas to heat, a120 element , and 12 volt elements

If it's a 2 way then no 12 volt element

There's no compressor , just expansion like said before, that's y it needs to be level

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Thanks for the posts, I'll try the 120V when it's fully level. And I'll check into that recall.

What exactly goes wrong/breaks when the fridge is used off-level? Is it a slow death or suddenly the fridge is hooped?

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll ask my brother when he's back on Thursday. He's one the best appliance repair techs.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts, I'll try the 120V when it's fully level. And I'll check into that recall.

What exactly goes wrong/breaks when the fridge is used off-level? Is it a slow death or suddenly the fridge is hooped?
It has to off level by more than 3%...which is a lot. All my RV fridges stay "On" all summer....and my last parking pad was a pretty good slope.

If it turns out you need a board, DON'T pay the 300+++ for a factory one.... Dinosaur Electronics Home. High quality circuit boards for RV appliances.

Top Bottom