RV AC Recharge

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever recharged their RV AC unit? Ours has slowly over time become less cold than new, but still works. This recent heat spell had me thinking about it. Everything works well and I have performed a few things to improve efficiency but have started looking into replacing the Freon. Contacted about 7 RV shops in and around Edmonton. Only two responded that they either don't do that service or don't have the equipment. YouTube has some videos but short on the specific details I am interested in. Is this something more suited to HVAC person than an RV shop? I know there are kits to tap into the line and add, however there is more to it, so it is something one can do on their own and how specifically?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already, the first thing to do is ensure both the condenser and evaporator coils are clean, take a hose up in the roof and wash out the condenser coil especially.

After that if it's still weak I'd be finding a dedicated refrigeration shop to look at it. Most jokers at the RV dealer would probably screw it up even if they had the equipment to do it.

Don't try to top it off with the cans from crappy tire, they are a substitute refrigerant and really shouldn't be mixed with what's already in the system.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also heard recently that rv dealers just want to replace unit. A refrigeration place or good mechanic with portable guages would be my guess

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unit is very well looked after. No worries about it being cleaned and sealed up. It works, just getting old and thought recharge might be good idea. Yup, most RV dealers want to replace. Tried a few mobile RV repair guys, either don't do or not hearing back. Was given name of place...Cool-It RV. Doesn't answer and mailbox full. Might start calling refrigeration places.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Assuming it has ports to recharge it, any standard refrigeration company that does residential or commercial AC will have the equipment to do it.

You likely will have an issue finding someone with the time, we waited 2 weeks at the beginning of June to have an AC unit installed in our house, now after the heat wave most AC companies are running flat out trying to keep up.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a shop do it and make sure they follow manufacture recommendations their is always a tag on them for refrigerant and oil they use. We just ran into one at our shop that uses a oil none of us have ever heard of. We could not verify it was 100% compatible with what we used in our machine and we were not going to drain and flush our machine for one job. We sent it over to the refrigeration shop and let them deal with it..

Top Bottom