Russia the next frontier for big mountain riding?

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Kamchatka is my next foreign destination. Recreational sledding is certainly growing in Russia as they emerge into the new economy. Jared Sessions from Boondockers was invited 2 years ago and went to set up some customers Turbo sleds. I also know MCX ships several kits there each season. We almost completed a deal in 2008 to travel as a group of 4 to Kamchatka for a visit and ride.....then the $$ crashed and the rest is history. I'll probably go one or two people with Victor looking after me and being the tour guide :)

Cheers
RS

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Kamchatka is my next foreign destination. Recreational sledding is certainly growing in Russia as they emerge into the new economy. Jared Sessions from Boondockers was invited 2 years ago and went to set up some customers Turbo sleds. I also know MCX ships several kits there each season. We almost completed a deal in 2008 to travel as a group of 4 to Kamchatka for a visit and ride.....then the $$ crashed and the rest is history. I'll probably go one or two people with Victor looking after me and being the tour guide :)

Cheers
RS

Very nice.

92vwgti

Reaction score
hmmmm i wonder if they have decent tour operators and decent sleds..i tryed to google it but didnt come up with much, looks like an awesome place!!

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry man, please don't take offense to it, its just such a massive country that its got to have some gems, that was the point I couldn't spit out.

Im sure he's just trying to stir chit up. He was offended by a comment that wasn't meant to offend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure he's just trying to stir chit up. He was offended by a comment that wasn't meant to offend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't offended. I was shocked at the comment and how closed minded it was.

Canada and BC is nothing special. TONS of places that make BC's mountain range and it's availability to ride look like the dogs breakfast.

snowrideadventures

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowrideadventures.com

Canada and BC is nothing special. TONS of places that make BC's mountain range and it's availability to ride look like the dogs breakfast.

Sorry again, however this time I sincerely disagree with you. I've traveled a fair bit for this sport and BC is hands down the pinnacle of big mountain riding, we have the most terrain, the most dynamic terrain, the most open terrain, with a good snowpack, besides the unknown in Russia and perhaps South America, there is nothing that comes close on the North American continent,....Alaska is maybe next in line. Just my thoughts. I don't see my comment being closed-minded in anyway. To each there own.

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Gotta disagree with you. I think Canada and B.C. is something special. And as far as your dogs breakfast and the availabilty of better places to go, can you rattle off a few. I'm always interested in a good road trip to find better riding.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better riding or not it sure looks like Europe/Russia is where the growth is happening in this sport. According to the October 2012 edition of SnoWest Europe/Russia has almost tripled sled sales in the last 10 years (13,911 in 2002 to 38,000 in 2012) whereas Western United States has dropped almost in half (28,278 in 2002 to 16,125 in 2012). Western Canada has just held it's own with 13,769 units sold in 2002 and 12,934 in 2012. One could argue that the North American economy is hurting but Russia and Europe are not exactly strong so it would seem a lot more people are getting into sledding there than here.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alaska is an open frontier of riding. The places mentioned earlier are exceptional locations all within hours of driving.

This isn't even considering other continents..

Mountains are mountains. There's a lot of mountains in the world and many have less restrictions then we have here. Lots of them are barely being used too.

To say B.C is the best is nowhere near correct. Canadians have become very ignorant, but that's a whole other opinion I won't get into.

snowrideadventures

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowrideadventures.com
Alaska is an open frontier of riding. The places mentioned earlier are exceptional locations all within hours of driving.

This isn't even considering other continents..

Mountains are mountains. There's a lot of mountains in the world and many have less restrictions then we have here. Lots of them are barely being used too.

To say B.C is the best is nowhere near correct. Canadians have become very ignorant, but that's a whole other opinion I won't get into.

Ok, so then where exactly are the other places are you talking about?

In Whistler, we have 24 riding areas in our corridor, hundreds of thousands if not millions of hectares of terrain. I'd probably quit snowmobiling if I lived the states, the quality of riding down in the lower 48 is nowhere near what we have here. If you've grown up in BC, you'd recognize just how spoiled we are and how good we have we it, and that realization becomes dead clear the moment you hit the road. You say Alaska is open frontier, well so is BC. I've ridden Alaska and I'd take BC almost any day over AK.

If you have great spots, let us know, I'd be stoked to check them out. I'm open minded, but my experience hasn't indicated that your statements are in anyway correct.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so then where exactly are the other places are you talking about?

In Whistler, we have 24 riding areas in our corridor, hundreds of thousands if not millions of hectares of terrain. I'd probably quit snowmobiling if I lived the states, the quality of riding down in the lower 48 is nowhere near what we have here. If you've grown up in BC, you'd recognize just how spoiled we are and how good we have we it, and that realization becomes dead clear the moment you hit the road. You say Alaska is open frontier, well so is BC. I've ridden Alaska and I'd take BC almost any day over AK.

If you have great spots, let us know, I'd be stoked to check them out. I'm open minded, but my experience hasn't indicated that your statements are in anyway correct.

I agree 100%! I have rode Montana, Colorado, Idaho and Wyoming. There is no way these area's are as good as riding as the BC area's I frequent. Yellowstone has stunk me out 2/2 and Grand Lake, Colorado is big and high country but not much snow. Nothing like Revy, Sicamous, Whistler or Stewart.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 years ago I rode in the the Chilean Andes and they have some huge country to explore there. Snow wasnt the best and they lack trees because of the elevations. The company we rode had all newer XP's. I took a lot of pics but some Chilean decided he liked my camera more than I did :(

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 years ago I rode in the the Chilean Andes and they have some huge country to explore there. Snow wasnt the best and they lack trees because of the elevations. The company we rode had all newer XP's. I took a lot of pics but some Chilean decided he liked my camera more than I did :(

This brings up a great question when you mention trees Dennis. Why is it trees quit growing at7500-8000 feet in Western Canada but grow at 13000 ft in Colorado?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More temperature in the summertime I believe. I think it gets a bit warmer down south in the summer

This brings up a great question when you mention trees Dennis. Why is it trees quit growing at7500-8000 feet in Western Canada but grow at 13000 ft in Colorado?

Top Bottom