Rural internet- Any recomendations, blackfoot ab area.

brendon444

Reaction score
Just moved into an acreage and looking to get internet. Located 6km from Blackfoot ab. and about 10km from Lloydminster ab. Was going to get Xplornet but now unsure as heard coverage can be bad if storm comes through or at random times. Anyone have any experience or recommendations for this area.

Thanks.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use xplornet if the dish is dailed in good, it will take a good rain storm will bump you off the interweb and outages don't last long

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I don't know if they're available where you are, but I'm on Syban. Started out as Wild Rose, but Syban bought them out. I can legitimately say that I've been really happy with both. No outages ever. Unless, of course, my power goes out.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we lived out by Ministik we had Wild Rose. They were awesome. No issues with them. When we moved to the rural Gibbons area we could only get Xplorer net. We don't like their service. Constantly dropping signals. During busy times it's way slower. Never had those issues with Wild Rose. Once our contract is up we're trying a different provider.

dean_jimmy96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use mcs net there ok cheaper then xplorer net for the same package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Going to depend 100% on your location and available signals.

When we moved I was hell bent on leaving xplornet because they outright sucked azz at our last place.

Had another provider come in and when checking for signals he told me that there was a 10/10 signal available but it wasn't his and he assumed it was xplornet. Told me to call them because his signal could not compete and we'd end up unhappy with them. I'm glad he was honest because since then we have had 0 issues with xplornet connection services, customer service and company policy is another story, if I had a better option I'd exercise it.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use mcs net there ok cheaper then xplorer net for the same package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McsNet has decent internet and great service. Dont have their internet anymore but still have phone through them. Kept my number when we moved across the province for family to call us local

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are near wainwright and have mcsnet and are wanting to switch to cci wireless. Not very happy with mcsnet it keeps cutting out on us and they have fixed it a few times but its an ongoing thing. Also they don't provide an unlimited package.

brendon444

Reaction score
Going to try xplornet with their new LTE service suppose to be way better than the sat service and $59month for 250gb. Have 30 days to cancel if I don't like it on a 1 year contract otherwise.

Dakine879

Reaction score
I was just wondering this same thing. I've read other negative reviews of xplornet's service. Hope you have a better experience with their line of site service (i'm assuming that is LTE?)

think i'm going to inquire if i can get CCI from my place.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have CCI's LTE and it is pretty good. It's not cable, but good enough to watch Netfix and surf the web...

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep can't say f@€k Xplornet enough.., was stuck with them for years, CCI wireless came available and had nothing but great service..both the Internet and the customer..., nil can be said about Xplornet with my dozens and dozens of phone calls.. Good luck!

Dakine879

Reaction score
Hey just an update: i got CCI installed about two weeks ago. I had to get the dish thing installed on the top of the shop because i have a ton of trees on the west side of my property and the tower is about 7km west of me.

So far so good. I am only getting about 1.5 - 2 mbps so that would be nice if it would be about 3. I can still watch utube etc.... but live streaming sports is kind of tough at that download rate.

I have contacted CCI for help once to reboot my router and they were easy to deal with. Im gonna see if they can help with getting a better signal and a 3mbps d/l. The unlimited amount you can download is really cool.

brendon444

Reaction score
I have xplornet for about a month now with their LTE 10mbps 250 GB plan, actual consistent speed seems to be about 5-6 mbps. Service seems alright so far, fingers crossed. Dish mounted on the peak of my house.

Top Bottom