Running a can on the T3? Check the plastics in behind.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I did some quick measurements between the T3 and the 2014 XMX both with TheThing can on. The distance from the exhaust metal and the plastic under the anti-freeze reservoir was pretty much the same. The T3 has some plastic melting issues whereas the 2014 XMX doesn't. Nothing has changed on the physical side of TheThing nor on the T3 exhaust. Pictures of the melted plastic and also the red cover on the ES connection on the starter motor. I have also heard (from a reliable source) about some heat issues with the rewind. I remember a foil lined divider in that area back on the 2012's. I added one today and have included some pictures. I also used the foil tape on the outside of the rewind. If you are running a can on a T3, maybe take the time to check out the plastics behind the can. Just a heads up for all you fanatics out there.

IMG_3459.jpg IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is only that junk thing can that will do that. Every other manufacturer ceramic coats or coats it somehow so that does not happen. If I ordered a thing can I would send it for ceramic coating that thing must get insanely hot

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
man I hope you didn't burn your shrimp :eek:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It is only that junk thing can that will do that. Every other manufacturer ceramic coats or coats it somehow so that does not happen. If I ordered a thing can I would send it for ceramic coating that thing must get insanely hot

Sean, it is interesting that the 2013's and '14's didn't doo it. Nothing physical has changed. You can slam a product all you want but I thought you of all people would offer a little more than just the ceramic coating.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sean, it is interesting that the 2013's and '14's didn't doo it. Nothing physical has changed. You can slam a product all you want but I thought you of all people would offer a little more than just the ceramic coating.

or get rid of it all together? lol. sorry but that will make so much underhood heat its not good for anything. clutching/air intake temps. at least wrap it in heat wrap material maybe!

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
if a guy was to wrap it in header tape, would this help?
I love there concept but the heat issue has always been a concern.

I have to admit, Gibsons and his brother had some tastey snacks happening in pretty short order.
I dont mind subs but those warm tasties are sure nice.....
Except for Jerk sauce. That stuff is warm..LOL HA.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey fernie, mine started melting the wire conduit ect right beside the t Stat and below the ECM

I sticky heat taped it all

Was starting to do this even before the thing went in

But my sled is either w.O.t or not

Even stuck some to the coolant bottle, which reminds me I need to add again as I got a new bottle installed cause it oveled like the revs used to do and couldn't get the cap back on without a pry bar

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo dealership said I need to vent on both sides to get heat out, but more so on can side or bottle will over again

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Was starting to do this even before the thing went in .........

This was what I wanted people to see and check. I don't care what can one is running or if they are running the stock suitcase, just check it out and see if there is excess heat there. Why the difference from one year to the next?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was what I wanted people to see and check. I don't care what can one is running or if they are running the stock suitcase, just check it out and see if there is excess heat there. Why the difference from one year to the next?
Mines a 14 tho

Even my 10 xpx did it, I sticky foil taped it even more, but coolant bottle is farther forward on the xp

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put that foil tape on a piece of plastic and zip tied it to the area. Just like BRP did to the 2012's.
I meant on the whole can to help reduce underhood temps. I have a loomed wire in the same area that is melted a bit from my muffpot, need to foil tape it.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a spare thing cooker can for sale? Maxwell? Lol I would put it on my 2013 for the trapline.....

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey fernie, mine started melting the wire conduit ect right beside the t Stat and below the ECM

I sticky heat taped it all

Was starting to do this even before the thing went in

But my sled is either w.O.t or not

Even stuck some to the coolant bottle, which reminds me I need to add again as I got a new bottle installed cause it oveled like the revs used to do and couldn't get the cap back on without a pry bar

not sure if they make them for the coolant resevoirs, but you can get a little aluminum ring for oil resevoirs to keep the shape from warping.

Top Bottom