Rules

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New rules for groomed trails just hit my puter. Not going to be a fun year trying to stick to the work-safe B.C. crap. All our trails have to get an avy assessment done and then a plan in writing in case of an avy on our trails.
Not enough assesors around to get the job done in time me thinks and the cost, well we will have to see if a small club like ours can even afford the cost to do the assessment. Have to work on this next week.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
membership fees are what cover your trail costs right? Would it be possible to have an seperate membership,without all the trail perks or something ,that anyone could join for a small donation. to at least help keep these trails open for others. Kinda like flatlanders helping out the mountain guys a bit. Just an idea not sure if it would work though.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will have to see what it will cost to to the assessments on our 3 trails and take it from there. This new rule will affect all groomed trails in B.C. The bigger markets might not be hit as hard as the small markets but every clubs bottom line will get hit.
I am sure there will be a solution to the added cost but in the end it will most likely be the user that will end up shouldering the cost. Time will tell.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Barry, these "rules" have been published for a while now, but Im not sure there is sufficient resources to keep up with the suggestions from worksafe.

You should talk to your contact at the Association of BC Snowmobile Clubs, they are very helpful. You can even give me a shout today if you like as well.

Curtis

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have been out for awhile but I was under the impression that we had another year to get r done. Looked at the mail from you know who this am and realized that it was going to happen now. Well, we will deal with it and get to work on getting the job done, just like you will as well I'm sure.
Will be in touch next week as I'm off to the lower mainland for a wedding and business meeting tomorrow.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like increased trail fees will be happening.

An issue I can see is, if people are paying more to access these areas, and the unfortunate does happen, are lawsuits not more likely? For example, what if someone like Charles Blackburn were renting a sled in golden, and an avy comes down over the trail. Sure enough they would sue, as they were lead to believe trail maintence would prevent any accidents, which we all know is not entirely possible.

just a thought in this cats head. Leave it to lawyers and government to make things more difficult every year.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the fees for this year have already been established and there will have to be more info looked up on this. Next week as I am off to Vancouver and the Island for 3 days. Have a good weekend all.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So once the assesments are done and they find a unsafe area then what snowsheds:rules:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
As the secretary of the Fernie club and a paid groomer operator it appears to me that this information or directive, being from WorkSafeBC it is much more than anybody has mentioned above. I haven't got the mail for a few weeks but I guess I'd better.

It appears to me that this is for "workers" and not the recreational riders (so to speak). If WorkSafeBC is involved in this assessment, is it directly related to "operators" or "trail maintainers"?

Why would WorkSafeBC be concerned with recreational riders? That would be the ultimate responsibility of MoTSA would it not?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with WorkSafeBC involved it seems more "worker" related to me. I may need a little enlightening.....

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If increased trail fees is what is required, personally, I wouldn't complain. It's better than not riding. (That is, if they aren't ridiculously expensive.)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
As the secretary of the Fernie club and a paid groomer operator it appears to me that this information or directive, being from WorkSafeBC it is much more than anybody has mentioned above. I haven't got the mail for a few weeks but I guess I'd better.

It appears to me that this is for "workers" and not the recreational riders (so to speak). If WorkSafeBC is involved in this assessment, is it directly related to "operators" or "trail maintainers"?

Why would WorkSafeBC be concerned with recreational riders? That would be the ultimate responsibility of MoTSA would it not?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with WorkSafeBC involved it seems more "worker" related to me. I may need a little enlightening.....

I've contacted Barry with regards to this. You are right Worksafe BC's mandate is the protection of workers. The issue will be the safety of the "paid employees" who work the trails. I work as an OH&S consultant and work closely with worksafe BC, If I can be of assistance with the situation Barry will contact me.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like increased trail fees will be happening.

An issue I can see is, if people are paying more to access these areas, and the unfortunate does happen, are lawsuits not more likely? For example, what if someone like Charles Blackburn were renting a sled in golden, and an avy comes down over the trail. Sure enough they would sue, as they were lead to believe trail maintence would prevent any accidents, which we all know is not entirely possible.

just a thought in this cats head. Leave it to lawyers and government to make things more difficult every year.

Read the back of your trail pass. Pretty sure it has a liability waiver that protects the club and says that you accept responsbility. How is the club responsible for the actions of the galatically stupid? If an avy comes down on the trail, then the rider shouldn't have been out there in questionable snow conditions. The club should have enough ammo on their side with the Avy report to say that backcountry travel was not recommended and most clubs have "proceed at your own risk" which absolves them of responsibility. I know, I know, it doesn't mean that someone won't try and sue, but at least the club is protected and with some many factors involved that they can't control, a judgement would likely favor them in court (at least I hope it would).

You can't sue the highways dept if you get into a car accident, much the same scenario IMO.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read the back of your trail pass. Pretty sure it has a liability waiver that protects the club and says that you accept responsbility. How is the club responsible for the actions of the galatically stupid? If an avy comes down on the trail, then the rider shouldn't have been out there in questionable snow conditions. The club should have enough ammo on their side with the Avy report to say that backcountry travel was not recommended and most clubs have "proceed at your own risk" which absolves them of responsibility. I know, I know, it doesn't mean that someone won't try and sue, but at least the club is protected and with some many factors involved that they can't control, a judgement would likely favor them in court (at least I hope it would).

You can't sue the highways dept if you get into a car accident, much the same scenario IMO.

Heck yea, that all makes perfect sense. When I wrote what I had, I had one of those 'Didn't think before typing' moments. Of course worksafeBC only applies to those who are working. One of those 'derrr' moments for sure. :eek:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heck yea, that all makes perfect sense. When I wrote what I had, I had one of those 'Didn't think before typing' moments. Of course worksafeBC only applies to those who are working. One of those 'derrr' moments for sure. :eek:

No worries man - we all have those moments!!! :D

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brings up a good conversation and seems like somehting that is defintely not out of the realm of possibilities after last year. Good for us to be on our toes!! Almost snow season and I'm sure Mr. Wiegele will be back at it.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Brings up a good conversation and seems like somehting that is defintely not out of the realm of possibilities after last year. Good for us to be on our toes!! Almost snow season and I'm sure Mr. Wiegele will be back at it.

weigle and cookiemonster.jpg

Just sayin......:d

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know why, but that pic made me laugh waaaay hard. It is FUNNY!!!!

Top Bottom