Ruby Falls Trail Closure?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor from a freind of mine who lives up in Hinton that SRD is planning to close the trails to Ruby Falls after this year. I tried to do some diggin on the SRD website, but I must be challenged becuase I can never find what I'm loooking for on that site.

Can anyone confirm if this is actually true, just proposed, or total BS? If there is some merit to this rumor, I'm also wondering if they would just be closing the creek trail down or everything?

Andrew.L

Reaction score
after readying a few different things....... It might be a possibility that the whole area everyone rides down there will be closed.
That whole area near pembina river road will get closed......

I am not the for sure answer or guy to say. But from what I have been reading, its possible

nippy54

Reaction score
after readying a few different things....... It might be a possibility that the whole area everyone rides down there will be closed.
That whole area near pembina river road will get closed......

I am not the for sure answer or guy to say. But from what I have been reading, its possible

Am curious as to what you've been reading. Can you provide any links to this? Couldn't find anything pertaining to this on the SRD site or anywhere else for that matter....

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boy I sure hope not as that is a ride we are planning on this year.

Andrew.L

Reaction score
SRD site. they have zones mapped out. there is a bunch of stuff on there

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I see the trail looks clear up to about half a click from the falls. The falls are under coal branch area now. I went on SRD and then recreation and public use. The public land use zones where there is a google map. Ruby falls trail seems surrounded but still accessible from the road going past small boy. I hope they don't mess up the falls like they did Mountain Park.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I see the trail looks clear up to about half a click from the falls. The falls are under coal branch area now. I went on SRD and then recreation and public use. The public land use zones where there is a google map. Ruby falls trail seems surrounded but still accessible from the road going past small boy. I hope they don't mess up the falls like they did Mountain Park.

I saw that map as well, but the summary page for the Coal Branch says that OHV use is permitted in this PLUZ. I don't see anything that sugests they may close it down to OHV use. Am I misreading this info?

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is native land ?¿
Is it not ?
They they have no say in closing anything

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not native land crown land so anything goes depending on who has the most money. Smallboy camp is not a legit res as far as I know. They are like squatters I think.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a big chunk of the land out there that is native land that you cross on the way to ruby falls Alexis cardinal first nation
butyou are right this is not from the small boy cap as they're squatters

Jay_Tol

Reaction score
Anyone have specific directions to the ruby falls trail and am i able to take a toy hauler there or is the road to crappy? I have been meaning to get out there and ride it but haven't had the chance yet. maybe this year and hopefully they won't close it before i do...

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can take any rig there, but if it is wet or rains when your there the rodeo will begin. Hope you like washing your rig for a while after any trip there. Only about 80km of gravel too. Road is pot holed not that great, better stay in St. Albert.

Klondike Mike

Reaction score
Picked up the 2012 PLUZ map for the Coal Branch area. Some changes from the previous year. While looking at both maps what is glaringly obvious is the trail to Ruby Lake off the Ruby Creek trail is gone. Along with that the trail that went from Ruby Lake back to the Grave Flats road (that was north of the ruby creek trail) is no longer on the map. I also noticed that the Southesk river trail doesn't extend as far as it did in 2011 which would suggest that you can't quad to the trail head of the walking trail down to the suspension bridge.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to camp in that area? I see Brazeau river and Pembina forks, is there free camping closer to the trail heads? Would like to see Ruby falls before it gets wrecked.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all random camping up there, all pretty close to the trail system. Here's an old link with directions right to the trail head and some Garmin maps of the trails. It can get crazy busy up there though, so getting a spot might be tough if you head up on a long weekend. I'm heading up there with the crew again this year, you're welcome to join us ...just trying to work out a date. We usually go in late summer to ensure that the water isn't too high.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f483/grave-flats-staging-ruby-falls-southesk-1643.html#post11037

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool, I think we are looking at late june as that is when the wife can finally take some extra time, when were you thinking for late summer?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I asked a buddy that works for SRD and everyone who he's talked to so far confirmed the rumor. However, he's unsure as to the extent of the closure.

Drako99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all random camping up there, all pretty close to the trail system. Here's an old link with directions right to the trail head and some Garmin maps of the trails. It can get crazy busy up there though, so getting a spot might be tough if you head up on a long weekend. I'm heading up there with the crew again this year, you're welcome to join us ...just trying to work out a date. We usually go in late summer to ensure that the water isn't too high.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f483/grave-flats-staging-ruby-falls-southesk-1643.html#post11037
Let me know when you plan on going... I was hoping to go August 24-26

Top Bottom