Ruby falls/southesk water levels

Erebus

Reaction score
Planning a trip for this weekend coming up. It's probably too early but I was hoping to get into ruby or ride the southesk. Has anybody been down there lately? I'm guessing the cardinal river headwaters still had snow on it but if anybody has been back there I would appreciate any info on that as well.

Thanks!

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would guess that you could make it around the south esk and maybe to ruby as well but you would want to leave early in the morning so you are back before the river flow picks up to much in the afternoon

toomuchsledformyowngood

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
me and and couple of buddies are going to wait just a lottle longer before making that trip. might still be a little too chilly to camp out there

Andrew.L

Reaction score
was there last the weekend that just passed.
Water levels are a bit high and rivers are really moving fast.

plus this weekend coming up its supose to piss pour rain.

Erebus

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I don't think I will head down there. Maybe a little random camping by Robb or Tom hill is in order. I thought it was a little early for that area but you never know unless you ask!!

Erebus

Reaction score
The weather does look a little less then optimal. But as an old friend of mine used to say you don't get to pick the weather, you only get to pick whether or not you go. And besides, the worse the weather the less people on the trails!!

avalanche

Reaction score
Has anyone been to ruby yet? How's the water level now was thinking of going there Canada day weekend

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Ruby Falls area. The Ruby Falls trail from the Kiosk is not passable to stock machines as the river is too high. However if go to the next crossing which is a few kilometers up the road, you will be fine. Make sure you have good winches as you will need them for the first mud bog area. there is another trail going from the Toma creek crossing to the Ruby falls trail but it is long and has its own bit s of fun, The field of floating grass was a bit much, you will have to walk your ride across as you will sink if you ride. More horsepower will just get you more trouble I found in that delightful area. The falls were worth it to get to, but take a little extra gas as it was 30 miles to get to the falls from the camp we were at. The river was the same there as last year but a lot more washout. The picnic tables and the fire pits at Ruby falls was neat to see. We were curious how they would have got them there as they are the old heavy duty Federal parks tables. To the idiot who couldn't read and drove his machine past the signs, you are the reason that they are going to close the area to quadders! Tough trail, not for the faint of heart, South Esk will be next I think.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Ruby Falls area. The Ruby Falls trail from the Kiosk is not passable to stock machines as the river is too high. However if go to the next crossing which is a few kilometers up the road, you will be fine. Make sure you have good winches as you will need them for the first mud bog area. there is another trail going from the Toma creek crossing to the Ruby falls trail but it is long and has its own bit s of fun, The field of floating grass was a bit much, you will have to walk your ride across as you will sink if you ride. More horsepower will just get you more trouble I found in that delightful area. The falls were worth it to get to, but take a little extra gas as it was 30 miles to get to the falls from the camp we were at. The river was the same there as last year but a lot more washout. The picnic tables and the fire pits at Ruby falls was neat to see. We were curious how they would have got them there as they are the old heavy duty Federal parks tables. To the idiot who couldn't read and drove his machine past the signs, you are the reason that they are going to close the area to quadders! Tough trail, not for the faint of heart, South Esk will be next I think.

If you take the lower trail with all the creek crossings, it's a really easy ride. I generally take the muddy trail in and the creek beds out. ...then again, I've never done it this time of year.

Fijimax

Reaction score
I hate to sound brand new , but can someone give me an idea of where to start this trip. Do I head to cadomin town and then go from there ?? I have not been to the area

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to Robb then head for cadomin about 25-30 kms down the road you will come to a 4 way intersection take the left road south. Follow for about an hour until you come to a T intersection take the right turn if you go left you will end up in an Indian reserve. There are plenty of free campsites all over. I did find an old camp ground that has lots of room and a lot of dead fall. Take your saw. and gas The road is called Pembina River road. It is a little rough in spots. You can take the Cadomin Road but it goes through the Cardinal divide and is very narrow and washed out in spots. If you take the forestry trunk road it is a lot longer. Go to the provincial building in Edson and get the trail maps they are well worth it.

Fijimax

Reaction score
Perfect , I will definetly stop in Edson and grab those maps . Is that provincial building on the main highway, I'm sure I can find it.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is by the Derrick liquor store on the 16 going east. Also I think the information building is now open they may have them as well.

Fijimax

Reaction score
How Are the roads past Robb ? Is it ok for 2 wheel drive trucks to the camping staging area?

ScubaSteve29

Reaction score
And how is the water level on the river with the recent flooding? Heading up the weekend after this for the annual Cadomin trip, and we need to be able to cross the river to get to half the trails (Ruby falls and whatnot).

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The road past Robb is dirt with a number of pot holes, take your time and you will get there in one piece. A two wheel drive is just fine, they seem to keep the road in good repair more or less as logging trucks use it as well as well service trucks. The forestry truck road is under repair and sucks to drive on especially if it rains. I would recommend PR road, it is shorter and better maintained, I do not suggest the cadomin to graveflats road as it has not been repaired from last years flooding. Ruby falls kiosk is not a recommended river crossing spot as it is quite deep and high, got to the one that is across from the graveflats lookout road. Just follow the road for about a km then cross, don't mind the big puddle at the bottom of the drive as it is quite shallow, it just looks deep! I also recommend the Toma trail and the Cardinal river headwaters trail you will not be dissappointed if you are looking for scenery. Take your camera. If you are interested go facebook and look me up under Kelly Brunlees we have plenty of pics.

Top Bottom