Rubicon Has Never Been The Same

RatBoy

Reaction score
Last summer I had to pull a machine out through the high RubyFalls trail (awesome muskeg) after playing for a day. By that time in the day the rad was plugged right full and every 15 minutes the temperature light kept coming on. Ever since then my princess hasn't been the same. Should I be redoing the top end or just getting a compression test?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Firstly let me asks. Are you nuts?:D That would be the last place I would want to drag a dead machine through.

How is the Princess not the same?

My advice for all Rubicons is if you think there is something wrong then get it checked out with a fine tooth comb. If these machine are allowed to eat themselves up the repair cost is horrendous.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
If your not the service kind of guy & in doubt take it in to a dealer that you are comfortable with to get it serviced..... Could be something as simple as a valve set, plugging off exhaust etc. You then can get a good overall service.:twocents:

RatBoy

Reaction score
There is a high end knocking that sends shivers down my spine when I head out on the long roads to get to the trail heads:(

And as far as the pull through the muskeg goes, there was some sort of electrical short that we could not find.

We camp right at the bottom of the trail on the river. A to B, shortest distance.

RatBoy

Reaction score
I took it in for the valve adjustment 3 hours later and the shop cleared it. Since then I did oil & filter changes every 25 hours.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A high end knock that gets worse with rpm after overheating can be piston slap (collapsed piston skirts). Can also be a bad wrist pin or crank pin. 1-1/2 hours in the shop should be enough to give you an explaination of what is knocking.

Have you opened up the oil filter when you changed it? If so, did you find any filings? Do you have an oil sample that you can send in for analysis?

A knock will not fix itself. Do not let any metallic contaminated oil get to the tranny; repair bills will escalate to unbelivable highs.

BTW, nice place to camp. We were out that way this weekend.

RatBoy

Reaction score
Thanks guys now the next question is who in Edmonton would you recommend, or do you think as an ATV'er I should be doing work like this myself.

On second thought never mind.

I broke down my old KX125 to do the crank bearing and it is still laying in pieces after a year:loser:

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riverside is the only Honda dealer I've dealt with near Edmonton. Hopefully someone else will chime in with other options.

Top Bottom