route from Mica/Revy to Blue river ????

bclinehand

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows of a route from Mica Dam area through to Blue River.
thanks in advance
Dave

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
ive alway took the Adams forest road that goes north from Chase along the west side of Adams lake. never took the forest road in the middle of winter although could see it scretchy

BOONDOCKINDAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive alway took the Adams forest road that goes north from Chase along the west side of Adams lake. never took the forest road in the middle of winter although could see it scretchy
have you made it all the way to blue river this way??? I think you hook up to the tum tum rd at the end of the lake?? and that takes you to blue river?

skeeter800x

Reaction score
Kinbasket Lake I believe is the area you might be tthinking of. I went through blue river a few years ago and was surprised to see access to Kinbasket from there; there is also access to kinbasket from near revy.

bclinehand

Reaction score
Keep it coming ....... I wonder where the Kinbasket acess ends up from the Blue river end ?

BLUE PLATE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you wanting to sled from blue river to mica? You can access the canoe arm of kinbasket from valemount and it is about a 80-90 km boat ride to mica dam. Trying to sled from blue to mica could be a tough one.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinbasket Lake I believe is the area you might be tthinking of. I went through blue river a few years ago and was surprised to see access to Kinbasket from there; there is also access to kinbasket from near revy.

Have a look at google maps, kinbasket is quite a ways from blue river lol

Sent from a iPhone

bclinehand

Reaction score
Are you wanting to sled from blue river to mica? You can access the canoe arm of kinbasket from valemount and it is about a 80-90 km boat ride to mica dam. Trying to sled from blue to mica could be a tough one.

Looking for options......boating is out though

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it would be possible with some ambition. Head due west of mica. If your not affraid to pound through some trees, won't be that bad. Biggest thing would be to hit a ridge top or glacier to cover the most distance. Hopefully you would know one side so its more of a link than anything.

Sofa King much pow

Reaction score
You wouldn't have a chance.
You could leave Mica cross BLue Bridge north of Mica on to Nagle Cr.
At around 26 Km You would come to Encampment Cr and the road would end.
Large River crossing with no Bridge.
Back in the 60's before Kinbasket Lake was formed there was a road to Valemount.
Asle the Transcanada went from Mica to Donald.
Google is good but sometimes it can cause dreams.

bclinehand

Reaction score
My advice is listen to the King.

12 km from one side of the range to the other using 2005 maps.......gotta be a route:confused:

Here's the Deal......I am a member of the Canadian Rangers.....an armed forces reserve unit....one of our tasks is to provide scouting/local knowledge to other units in the Canadian Forces ......there is a possibility that the Army will be running an excercise at Mica and all routes in will be looked at......hence the thought about an overland route from the Blue River area.........any help would be appreciated.

If you want any info on the Canadian Rangers Get ahold of me by PM or google 4CRPG

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
12 km from one side of the range to the other using 2005 maps.......gotta be a route:confused:

Here's the Deal......I am a member of the Canadian Rangers.....an armed forces reserve unit....one of our tasks is to provide scouting/local knowledge to other units in the Canadian Forces ......there is a possibility that the Army will be running an excercise at Mica and all routes in will be looked at......hence the thought about an overland route from the Blue River area.........any help would be appreciated.

If you want any info on the Canadian Rangers Get ahold of me by PM or google 4CRPG

LOL like Sofa King said....google can cause many many dreams about stuff that ain't gonna happen. Not trying to be a downer, just putting it more into some realistic expectations for you. I want to try and help you understand that this wouldn't be anything but extremely difficult. Hope this helps. Sorry to be "that guy" but unless you got some serious power under the hood, and I mean SERIOUS power, what looks to be "easy" on google is extremely hard in real life.

The vertical exaggeration on google does not do the real terrain justice at all. It might look like 60 degrees on google, and it will be a straight wall in real life. Google just averages the vertical over the horizontal distance, so what looks like a nice uniform slope might be flatter than shown but littered with small cliffs that actually make it impassable. Picking your way up the drainage would be the easy part, accessing the alpine up the headwalls at the ends of the drainage would be tough, those are big hills and not for the inexperienced or faint of heart.

I've flown in this area a few times for various reasons and can tell you its steep country, BIG avy's are a way of life back here, if you are buried or have an incident in inclement weather, no chopper will be flying to rescue you. As much as it looks like its "close" to Revy or Blue, you might as well be 1,000 miles away. I've "been here done that" countless times like what you are trying to do when punching terrain. It might take you all day to go 10 kms. If you gotta shovel a trail across a slide path (or 3) or walk ahead and hack a trail through the brush, then go back and get your sled, and do that over and over, it could take days. There is a reason that the explorers who found the routes through the mountains, spent years up here on horses doing just that.

If you could get up top, then you have to cross some glaciers, a feat by itself and not for people that are untrained in the perils of glaciers, and then get down the other side. Getting up is sometimes the easy part, you might have to drop over something you won't be able to climb back up, and if you can't get down once you go over, then you are stuck. There have been a few guys (potentially yours truly.... LOL) who have dropped over something and couldn't get out, then had to wait until nightfall for the slope to stablize and freeze up enough that they could climb back out....

You will have to tow skiffs of fuel or load your sleds up to the max with all that you can carry. What looks like 65 kms (I got a reading closer to 80 kms myself) will easily turn out to be double that mileage once you try 4 or 5 routes up a track or drainage that don't work out, have to take a run at a hill 10 times to make it or ferry your supplies up, go back and dig your buddies out a bunch of times, etc etc. Getting up a drainage is hard enough just with your sled, nevermind towing a skiff of fuel and supplies.

Beyond everything else that is said and if you read nothing else of my post, the caribou closures make this trip impossible and will prevent any trip you are planning to make by sled. There are closures around the headwaters of any potential path that you could choose.

Last edited:

bellwrench

Reaction score
If your not affraid to pound through some trees, won't be that bad.

ROTFLMAO

There's usually a couple helicopters kicking around Blue River this time of year, charter one for a recci flight towards Mica....at about the 6 minute mark you will understand....

Top Bottom