RMK rear suspension

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need all hands on deck here, calling all the polaris gurus. Here's the scoop, 03 RMK 600, suposed to be riding valemount this weekend so I'm working on the sled tonight, changing jets, weights and giving it the once over. Get to the rear suspension and find I can compress the suspension all the way down with body weight and by hand. It still comes back up but not all the way. Springs are on the hardest setting and still no change, never had this happen before, rode lac sante about three to four weeks ago and worked fine them, sled has sat ever since. Any Ideas? Need help asap. could it be the shocks even though there's no sign of oil leakage?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Do you have the skiis on dollys or the front end propped up?

I need all hands on deck here, calling all the polaris gurus. Here's the scoop, 03 RMK 600, suposed to be riding valemount this weekend so I'm working on the sled tonight, changing jets, weights and giving it the once over. Get to the rear suspension and find I can compress the suspension all the way down with body weight and by hand. It still comes back up but not all the way. Springs are on the hardest setting and still no change, never had this happen before, rode lac sante about three to four weeks ago and worked fine them, sled has sat ever since. Any Ideas? Need help asap. could it be the shocks even though there's no sign of oil leakage?

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, when I checked it the track was on the ground and the skis were on dollys,

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can still compress the suspension when the front and the rear on dollys,

Mike Anderson

Reaction score
I have the 700. The shocks just do the dampening, the springs hold the sled up. If the shocks aren't leaking they're fine. HD springs are avail for about 95.00 each (in stock @ Centerpoint Perf Leduc 985-2747) and really help. I have the 144 and moved the whole rear arm w/ shock back to the 151 holes (about 4") works very nice now!!

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes your right, but if the shock is nfg, you could compress the springs by hand. Like I said the sled worked fine three or so weeks ago then sat in that cold a#$ weather and now doesn't work. Are these shocks oil bath with gas charge? cause I'm thinking the seals shrunk and let the gas out. Guess I'll find out cause I got the last stock shock in edmonton in my hands now.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 700. The shocks just do the dampening, the springs hold the sled up. If the shocks aren't leaking they're fine. HD springs are avail for about 95.00 each (in stock @ Centerpoint Perf Leduc 985-2747) and really help. I have the 144 and moved the whole rear arm w/ shock back to the 151 holes (about 4") works very nice now!!

Explain to me what the purpose of moving the rear arm back does? Do these springs have longer front arms? cause if you move the arm back won't the arms fall out of the holders on the rails?

xcya

Reaction score
I did have a shock once sieze on my sled one year and it wouldnt retract after being compresed so it can happen.Disconnect the shock and see if it comes back up.Also after takeing the shock out measure the expanded length to see if it is at spec.

shayne4962

Reaction score
i had my ryde fx shock do the same type of thing halfway up the trail and we turned back , by the time we had got back to the truck it was working again. took it out and had it rebuilt this summer and first ride it did the same thing.so new springs are on the list to do now.

Trencher

Reaction score
Hey buddy, I hope all was well in the Alpine. I have an 06 700 rmk that had a very similar problem. It was sagged right out when i pushed it down it would not come back up . I replaced the spring with the heavy duty ones and it fixed the sagging issue but unfortunately it was rougher then a Ford Diesel :) It finally is beginning to soften up but now i broke a couple other suspension components but that will be another post.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shocks just control the rate of movement. They don't really have any bearing on how far the suspension will move. Maybe you broke a spring?
Oops, just noticed date on this post. You probably fixed it by now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom