RMK PRO 600 CFI vs 800 CFI

ltw

Reaction score
Oneoldfart I was hoping you would chime cause when I was choosing mine your posts were helpful. When one gets tired of the power slap a 660 kit in it and still be ultra reliable. Very nimble and must be a blast in the trees. There you go, new name for 2015 Pro 600 " The Blender"

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
I have a 2012 800 with 2600 VERY hard miles, and my Dad has a '13 with about 2000, and we haven't had 1 single problem with either of them.
His wife has had 2 600's. One had an oil pump fail and lost the rings, piston, and crank. The other had big electrical issues and was eating plugs bad.
I know i really go against just about everything everyone has said, but from my experience the 800's are more reliable.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got both 600 & 800. Love them both. Went wit 600 for wife cuz more proven motor and less sensitive to warm ups, cool downs etc than 800. Plus little better on fuel. So far no issues and suprises alota ppl on the 600 goes.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much oil does it use? Mine is just down to the add line on the tank after the GF rode it 250 miles. Ive been dumping an oz a gallon in the tank and Im gonna turn the oiler up. Its a MY13...
Estimating here but she rode it 5 times, if she used 6.5 gallons a ride and 2 quarts of oil that puts it at 65:1 without what I put in tank... Way to lean imo.

Here is my thought on turning up the oiler: If you ride trails or slowly for long periods of time, the oiler is pinched down and the throttle is in the lean range. This is when turning up the oiler can really increase oil flow and that will be good. BUT if you rode a sled WOT most of the time like my son rides this 600, the oil pump is squirting as much as it can and turning up more will do nothing more. I actually turned up the oiler on my 2014 800 because I ride less aggressively than my son. I could be wrong about this. The 600 uses less than a litre per tank of fuel, maybe 3/4 of a litre. My 800 uses about the same.

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well here's my 2 bits...........knock on wood..........my snowchecked '13 600 has ran great since day 1. Now have over 1600 kms and have no regrets on my purchase. It spins the 155 track no problem. Yes, I agree the 8's have more power, but for me the 6 was a perfect fit. I ride with a lot of 8's and go pretty much everywhere they do. I really don't care if someone high marks 10' farther than me.
For reliabilty, still have the original clutch belt, QD belt, driveshaft, A-arms. All I've done is regular maintenance, clean clutches, check bolts, etc.
My old ride was an 03 RMK 700. For comparison, HP is about the same. But throttle response and the handling is so much better with the Pro. And being 80-100# lighter, it has gone many places that the old Edge wouldn't even come close. I now find myself looking for the deepest snow, and the tight spots through the trees to weave in and out.
Definitely a fun sled. And if it keeps going like it has been, I'll be a happy camper.

Last edited:

Aker

Reaction score
1800 miles on my 12 600 one pipe sensor failed that's it
700 miles on my 13 600 no problems

i just pulled the top end off my 13 for a 660 kit, everything looks great inside
I didn't turn the oiler up on either sled, I don't think the 600 needs it.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1800 miles on my 12 600 one pipe sensor failed that's it
700 miles on my 13 600 no problems

i just pulled the top end off my 13 for a 660 kit, everything looks great inside
I didn't turn the oiler up on either sled, I don't think the 600 needs it.
Carl's 660 requires 1/2 oz of oil per gallon premixed in the tank, leave oil pump setting alone.

8675-30-9

Reaction score
well here's my 2 bits...........knock on wood..........my snowchecked '13 600 has ran great since day 1. Now have over 1600 kms and have no regrets on my purchase. It spins the 155 track no problem. Yes, I agree the 8's have more power, but for me the 6 was a perfect fit. I ride with a lot of 8's and go pretty much everywhere they do. I really don't care if someone high marks 10' farther than me.
For reliabilty, still have the original clutch belt, QD belt, driveshaft, A-arms. All I've done is regular maintenance, clean clutches, check bolts, etc.
My old ride was an 03 RMK 700. For comparison, HP is about the same. But throttle response and the handling is so much better with the Pro. And being 80-100# lighter, it has gone many places that the old Edge wouldn't even come close. I now find myself looking for the deepest snow, and the tight spots through the trees to weave in and out.
Definitely a fun sled. And if it keeps going like it has been, I'll be a happy camper.

What kind of weight do you have in the saddle? I'm 225 and like I said, this will be the wife's ride but my a$$ will be in the saddle a few times I'm sure.

8675-30-9

Reaction score
My wife has a 2013 Pro RMK 600 - her previous sled was an M8 with a full SLP package including head, and a 162 x 2.5 CE track. She rode it stock last year with a can and enjoyed the sled a lot, but it is what it is - a 600 will not have the snort of an 800, period. This season, we were going to trade it on an 800, but couldn't find a dealer to take it in without being raped. So, I installed a Carl's Cycle 660 big bore on it and did some suspension work - in her words... " you'll have to pry this sled from my cold dead hands." The 660 pulls the same flyweights as the 800, feels lighter due to less crank inertia, and is a hoot to ride, as it spools up like a blender. Obviously the shorter stoke engine still doesn't have the torque of an 800, but it will go anywhere an 800 goes with a good rider on it. If your wife was riding an M7 - the power delivery of the stock 600 is very comparable, but in a better riding / handling modern chassis. The 660 big bore gives up nothing to a stock 800, with more fun factor. Hope this helps.

Thanks, you comments are greatly appreciated. My wife is 115 lbs, it takes her and a 40 lb backpack to get that M7 on edge with all her might.

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 195 without gear and a big speed junkie, and still found the 14 Pro 600 an absolute blast to ride. Same power to weight as my piped and modded 03 800. It's not going to tear your arms off the second you pin the throttle, but winds up and twists like nothing else. In the right hands, especially a lightweight, they'll surprise a lot of 800 riders.

If you know how to ride, you can keep up with just about anyone, except in the steepest climbs. And with a bigger person on it, it makes you a better rider because you can't rely on the instant torque to get you out of situations you shouldn't have put yourself in :)

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys on these 600 guys. I'm looking at snowchecking the 600 Assault Switchback for the wife because of the wider front end & the 144 track.
We have a 700 Dragon 155 now & she hated it untill I put an assault front end on it. But I still find it trenchs, so we have the money to get new now & I think the 600 Switchback will be better suited for trails & ditch riding up in Norther Alberta.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of weight do you have in the saddle? I'm 225 and like I said, this will be the wife's ride but my a$$ will be in the saddle a few times I'm sure.
I weigh in at 225 lbs in my skivvies - so add 40 lbs with gear. The 600 will carry my carcass around with no problem

Top Bottom