RMK 900 2005 trouble keeping an idle and getting in reverse

Kyle Morley

Reaction score
Hi
first issue. the sled wont pull start unless you give it a little throttle and will not stay running (need to hold throttle open slightly)
let it warm up for 10 mins but it will just shut down if you let off the throttle) sometimes it will keep running after a few km on the trail. but will always shut down if you try to reverse.
second i took it out today and about 3 k up the trail the temp light came on so i stopped and it spit out a bunch of coolant which i think came out of the overflow, (did flush and added new coolant when i got home also bled the lines to make sure there was no air in the line. could not find any leaks.) drove back down to the truck and it seemed to be running good other then it will shut off if you do not engage throttle.

i am kind of new to this and any help would be awesome

thanks

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a huge amount of info on this sled on snow west,just google it and lots of stuff should come up,is this sled new too you and if so you got some reading to do. I got the same sled and have the bugs worked out of mine but the problem is they got lots of bugs , yours I'm not familiar with but the info is out there as these sleds got a rep, unfortunatly it's not a good one, Good Luck.......I love mine!

Kyle Morley

Reaction score
catmando thanks i have been reading and look forward to working out the bugs because this sled is fun as hell. i am also picking up a 09 dragon.

i will check out snow west.
im kind of thinking its something to do with the fuel in it is from the spring and 3 weeks ago i started it and after a few starts it would idle and stay running. it did this once or twice last year but then worked fine.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't forget about the fuel filter, sounds like your on the right track, and yes I'm going to have a hard time parting with mine,fun as he'll is an understatement, hard to find torque like that without spending the big bucks. Keep updating this thread ,there are a few guys on here that may be able to help.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What rpm does it idle at if it idles at all?
It could be the idle set screw. Shouldn't adjust it without a TPS tester though.

Kyle Morley

Reaction score
it wont idle at all on its own i have to give it throttle to pull start and then it will just shut down if i let off the throttle
the sled belongs to my gf's dad. unfortunately the sled is up north in sunpeaks i wont be back until the 19th but will be putting some time in on it then. i am going to change the fuel and gas filter regardless because thats cheap and easy. i was looking at the tps test and that looks promising too.

Kyle Morley

Reaction score
also it will shut off when i am stopped fully and let off the throttle. but it will still run if i let out the throttle in motion .. if that makes sense

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a recall for the fuel gauge float. Apparently it disintegrates and clogs the fuel filter. Something else to check with the filter.

Zien19

Reaction score
Also change the plugs. Could have one fouled plug as well. Always do the simple things first. I don't know how many times I've overlooked the simple things.

Top Bottom