RK TEK drop in piston kit for mxz 800r 2009

renegadenorway

Reaction score
hello..
i wonder if anyone here has installed this kit, im going to buy it but i wonder if its working good?

they also recomend RK Tek Custom ECM Re-program, is this something i need?

hope someone can help me :):eek:

speed800c

Reaction score
I just got an 827 kit from RK tek, But it is still coming in the mail, I can not really help you out, But when I install I will let you know, I also had to send my brain box to get a re-curve.

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put the drop ins in my 04 after a burn down and they have been working great. My summit runs with XP's and bed best of all it is reliable. This is my 4th season with the kit and no troubles. From what I understand, the re-curve helps eliminate the hot/lean portion of the midrange rpm's

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
I just got an 827 kit from RK tek, But it is still coming in the mail, I can not really help you out, But when I install I will let you know, I also had to send my brain box to get a re-curve.

Not sure why you needed the re-curve... same set up in my sled and Kelsey said that there was no need for the re-curve... do you have something special going on with your 827?

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked into the 827 kit a while back and I was told that a recurve was not necessary. If you were going the 860 route it would be. They did have a prog for the 827 kit that would help but was only an option.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put the RK head and pistons in my 05 and it pulls really hard but when i let the throttle off it sputters between 6000 and 7000 rpm after I rasied the needles one position. Maybe the re-curve is needed.

speed800c

Reaction score
Kelsey of Torque line Told me I had to get the re-curve. Just installed the 827 Kit yesterday and heading out saturday.

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put the rk tek drop in kit in my 07 800r (rktek's new drop in kit) this year and wondered should i get the reflash and decided to go ahead and do it and after looking at the parts before install i could see why its needed.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put the RK head and pistons in my 05 and it pulls really hard but when i let the throttle off it sputters between 6000 and 7000 rpm after I rasied the needles one position. Maybe the re-curve is needed.
my bud just installed his drop in kit on his '08, they told him the recurve was necessary. his kit is for 2000'-7000' on 91 octane. he's had it out for one ride so far but just locally, just took it easy to get some heat cycles into it. hope to get into the big hills soon and line it up against mine (stock) to check performance gain.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else running this setup? I haven't been able to run mine much but the last time i had my sled out i was playing in some deep drifts and the rpm's drop around 7500. I wish i would have went back to stock so it is just gas oil and go. I was also told that rk-tek did not make the replacement dual ring piston any more. Well they do make them and i would have put those in instead of this kit.

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to put in 830 kit this summer and have been emailing for couple months now and don't need to reflash on the smaller kit with stock head.sounds like going to be just that much more fun.

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else running this setup? I haven't been able to run mine much but the last time i had my sled out i was playing in some deep drifts and the rpm's drop around 7500. I wish i would have went back to stock so it is just gas oil and go. I was also told that rk-tek did not make the replacement dual ring piston any more. Well they do make them and i would have put those in instead of this kit.

Mine is gas oil and go. I have the recurve......:d

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on alll 827 kits i have installed i get the recurve. kelsey reccomeends it and these things scream.

buttt thats for an 827 with head so i guess i am raelly of no use in this topic LOL

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think i will get the recurve done. I wish i would have been told about the recurve back in august when i had the kit put in my sled. Kelsey also told me that they get the best performance out of the series 3 800ho with stock pipe and stock muffler. thanks guys

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol yah i duno....at least big john is willing to express an opinion on aftermarket parts.

i specifically remember kelsey posting saying IF you are going to use an aftermarket can use an hps or dynoport.

the real kicker is that i would never buy his kits if i had to run my stock can..

assss if....

i wish he would start doing some outside testing and maybe come up with an aftermarket pipe and can combo that works with his kit.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing he told me was to jet DOWN and lean it out. I did WOT runs on a lake and did a plug check and they are a very light brown, kelsey said "that just tells you what color your oil burns" he basicly said checking your plug color is old school and that it does'nt mean anything. After that i am now a little worried about my purchase.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother got this kit in his 2007 800R and this kits works really well and he is running y-pipe and a can and i think he is running 440 or 450 jets but the sled pulls hard right from the get go...

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother got this kit in his 2007 800R and this kits works really well and he is running y-pipe and a can and i think he is running 440 or 450 jets but the sled pulls hard right from the get go...

actually running 430mains on this kit and have more room to come down, the ypipe is a slp, can is mbrp, also has v force 3 reeds, and this kit does work well.

Top Bottom