riser/throttle question

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
k so riser is on, throttle extension is on, but depending on position of my existing throttle cable the idle changes....is this normal or a good sign that i need a new throttle cable, i got it positioned and fastened so it idles properly but is this something i need to look into further or just leave it secured where it is????

thanks ahead of time and thanks for all the other infot you guys have helped me with .....:d:beer:

here's some crappy pics.....the good pics from when i had it on with out the extension

Attachments

• IMG_1124.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 63
  • PICT0025.jpg
    PICT0025.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 60
  • PICT0026.jpg
    PICT0026.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it at a constent idle? Is the idle higher than what it was before,? Does the idle go up when you turn the bars at a stand still?

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Is it at a constent idle? Is the idle higher than what it was before,? Does the idle go up when you turn the bars at a stand still?

no it stays constant but when i move the cable in certain positions it idles up......i have it positioned now so it stays constant, and runs as it did before.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no it stays constant but when i move the cable in certain positions it idles up......i have it positioned now so it stays constant, and runs as it did before.

Sound like you might be pulling the cable (on the inside) and giving it just a touch of fuel, When my boss did his it made his RPM go up but it was steady. He has never had an issue.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
based on the second photo I would say your cable is too tight.

Keep in mind that if you cable is bringing revs up then its pulling on the cable when you turn the bars or position the throttle, it can do this when you are turning a corner and give your sled full throttle when you least expect it. This can be very BAD!!!

cycle the bars full turns side to side with the track on a stand (and sled running) so that if it revs up it does not take off across the yard.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Idle remains constant when he turns the bars full left and right....it's not the bars pulling on the cable. but when he moves the lower portion of the throttle cable ( below the extension) it will rev up or down depending on how he positions it.... If he tie straps the extension housing to the riser itself then the idle will remain constant but he's just wondering if being able to change the idle by physically moving the throttle cable will cause him grief or points to a larger problem.....

based on the second photo I would say your cable is too tight.

Keep in mind that if you cable is bringing revs up then its pulling on the cable when you turn the bars or position the throttle, it can do this when you are turning a corner and give your sled full throttle when you least expect it. This can be very BAD!!!

cycle the bars full turns side to side with the track on a stand (and sled running) so that if it revs up it does not take off across the yard.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'd say yes, it will cause grief if there is no slack at all.
Do you have any freeplay at the throttle. If not adjust tensioner as required to give you at least an 1/8". If it's the power mad extension, make sure the cable sleeve retrainers are on. They like to pull outta the connector box and hang up on the end.

He has slack.... only needed probably 2" and added a 6" extension... It is a power mad extension, we tried adjusting the cable but could only increase idle not decrease.... I'm wondering if we should not disconnect the extension and set all the adjustment screws to 1/2 way then re-install, it almost seems like they were pre-set to the lowest setting before install....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
no stupid questions right.

is it the right extension for the sled?

far as we were told..... same one for polaris/ski-doo and cat..... only one it won't work on is yammi..........

I'll be installing the same one on the summit 670x tonight after the motor is back together....

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Judging by the picture at top right, the cable is either too short or has been secured in such a way as to make it too short. Check the routing and adjust as necessary to get the tension off the cable.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Judging by the picture at top right, the cable is either too short or has been secured in such a way as to make it too short. Check the routing and adjust as necessary to get the tension off the cable.

the first 2 pics are before the extension was on, it was the prefit to see if i could get away with out an extension......then i bought the extension......now when i move my throttle cable BELOW the power mad it increases my throttle.....as booger said, and he is probably right i need to take it all apart re adjust before i install the power mad and try again......i am assuming my throttle cable is to tight to begin with

Top Bottom