Rino Tip- Polling multiple Rinos at once

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rino Tips

I have been reading some tips on using the Rino.

Multiple Polling at one time
If everyone in your group uses the same 7 letters in the first part of their call sign (eg. snowmud____ ) followed by individual identifyng letters (eg. snowmud01) for each radio, when you poll your group it should display everyone's positions at once.
There is a possiblity of radios transmitting simultaneously and creating a "collision".
I haven't tested this yet but will once I get the people with Rino's together again.

High Powered Channels
Higher power channels are 1-7 and 15-22
8-14 even when using GRMS are limited to FRS power @ 0.5W

Transmission Arrow
I have never noticed this but apparently there is an incoming transmission arrow on the screen when someone is transmitting on the same channel. Make sure this is not displayed before transmitting to avoid stepping on someone else.

Last edited:

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Re: Rino Tips

If everyone in your group uses the same 7 letters in the first part of their call sign (eg. snowmud____ ) followed by individual identifyng letters (eg. snowmud01) for each radio, when you poll your group it should display everyone's positions at once.
There is a possiblity of radios transmitting simultaneously and creating a "collision".
I haven't tested this yet but will once I get the people with Rino's together again.

High Powered Channels

Transmission Arrow
I have never noticed this but apparently there is an incoming transmission arrow on the screen when someone is transmitting on the same channel. Make sure this is not displayed before transmitting to avoid stepping on someone else.

Thanks...we are just trying to figure these new units out!!!

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Re: Rino Tips

High Powered Channels
Transmission Arrow

This is true but only on units sold in Canada. The max power is 2W on GMRS channels and they automatically go to .5W on FRS channels. If your unit is a US model this feature is not on. I have tested mine (us model) and it does remain at 5W at all times.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Combination radios may be advertised as 2 watt or 5 watt, those power levels only apply to GRMS frequencies. When set to the FRS channels 1 thru 14, the power is automatically limited to .5 watt.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so mac900rmk have you found any more ways to improve the garmin rino radio's?

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you order a rino from the states like off ebay is it automaticly a 5 watt or if they see your from canada they send you a 2 watt radio?or how do i get my hands on a 5 watt radio

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother bought his used off Ebay from the US. We have never taken the time to see if it's a huge benefit having one 5 watt and two 2 watts in our group.
So far they work perfectly for the distance we travel or end up apart.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you order a rino from the states like off ebay is it automaticly a 5 watt or if they see your from canada they send you a 2 watt radio?or how do i get my hands on a 5 watt radio

i was told ya need a us based puter address and thenit's just a software upgrade. that is what i was told. but a call to garmin will give you the info. also reading the posts and from actual use there is not alot of distance difference between 5 watt and 2 watt. something to do with signal output. anyone with real life comparison?

Top Bottom