Riding in the Slocan Valley?

Blk88GT

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing real estate in the area but I really don't know what the riding is like in the winter time in this area. I've never ridden this far south and generally have gone to Revelstoke, Sicamous, Hunter's Range and Trout Lake.

How many options are there to ride within a hour of Winlaw and what is the riding like? What is snow coverage like?

Any help would be appreciated!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Parents just moved to Ainsworth. Dad is starting to explore.
Ive quadded and 4x4d some of those trails/roads on the Ainsworth side.
Talking to locals there is a fair bit

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of fantastic sledding in the area. Head north and you have Trout lake and related areas without taking the ferry.
Head south you have Nelson, Castlegar, Salmo all epic riding zones. All within or about an hour.
I have rode all of them at one time or another in the past when i rode with my buddy Dave (RIP). My suggestion is contact the local club.
BTW, i have traveled most all of BC, Slocan valley is at the top in life style imo with some of the Island communities. Good choice.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing real estate in the area but I really don't know what the riding is like in the winter time in this area. I've never ridden this far south and generally have gone to Revelstoke, Sicamous, Hunter's Range and Trout Lake.

How many options are there to ride within a hour of Winlaw and what is the riding like? What is snow coverage like?

Lots of good riding up appledale and winlaw areas, you have grizzly and lemon, midslope and over into goose and ladybird on the Norn's side etc. You can go north or south and there are lots of new areas due to high lumber prices there has been more logging. Some areas are struggling with Cat / Heli ski ops right now with tenures and road closures, but not sure how many of them have been affected by Covid, since the rich foreign clients couldn't fly in. Snow years can be hit and miss somewhat for early season, just understand you might not get good snow until Jan most years. Anytime after that though, its good and can usually push most years into May.

Local dealer support is lacking unfortunately, that's one of the drawbacks. Playmor at the junction for Ski Doo or Main Jet in Nelson. Barrett in Fruitvale is no longer into sleds. All Season in Cranbrook. I don't know if Grand Forks has a dealer anymore, think it used to be B&F but not sure now.

Blk88GT

Reaction score
Awesome info guys. Keep it coming! It sounds like at the very least, I'm going to have to do some riding in this area when winter hits.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The conditions are similar to Revelstoke only a handful of people riding. This is good if you like fresh tracks but bad if you break down, There is hardly any cell service in that valley as locals think a cell tower will make them sterile. The areas to ride are quite numerous only there is very little grooming or alpine unless you head toward Castlegar. The other spots are heavily treed so get to learn how to tree ride. If you are a trail rider there are lots of logging roads to explore. Heading North you need to watch out for Caribou closures, heading East watch out for Kokanee Glacier park boundaries.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good summary, I will add some of the area's I ride present access challenge's. I'm good with that as it keeps the off brands away.

I will also add that respecting the locals whether you agree or not is important, you are the new guy. If you come in with a Deerfoot 500 mentality it may "not" go as expected.

Communication using GPS is mandatory, I learned that the hard with a non life threatening Heli rescue. It worked out, the difficulty without GPS communication added to unnecessary unknown's. I now use InReach, the Zoleo is on my radar for an upgrade due to it's seamless handoff from Cell to GPS.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good summary, I will add some of the area's I ride present access challenge's. I'm good with that as it keeps the off brands away.

I will also add that respecting the locals whether you agree or not is important, you are the new guy. If you come in with a Deerfoot 500 mentality it may "not" go as expected.

Communication using GPS is mandatory, I learned that the hard with a non life threatening Heli rescue. It worked out, the difficulty without GPS communication added to unnecessary unknown's. I now use InReach, the Zoleo is on my radar for an upgrade due to it's seamless handoff from Cell to GPS.
I will add that if you pull in with a 4 place trailer you might not fit in with locals and definitely not fit into most staging areas.

Blk88GT

Reaction score

Not an issue. I’m a sled deck user, have chains and a radio :)

I appreciate the input. I’m in the area for a few weeks and will be looking at a few properties… if they aren’t evacuated or already affected by the fires. :(

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not an issue. I’m a sled deck user, have chains and a radio :)

I appreciate the input. I’m in the area for a few weeks and will be looking at a few properties… if they aren’t evacuated or already affected by the fires. :(

Good luck on the property search. Inventory is at a historic low. I was ready to pull the trigger on a job opportunity out there and there is just nothing appealing in our price range even plus $100k on top of that which we would go for.

Riding out there as mentioned offers many options. I have been riding out there close to 15 years and most likely putting first tracks into many of those zones for the first time the last several years.

Blk88GT

Reaction score
Good luck on the property search. Inventory is at a historic low. I was ready to pull the trigger on a job opportunity out there and there is just nothing appealing in our price range even plus $100k on top of that which we would go for.

Riding out there as mentioned offers many options. I have been riding out there close to 15 years and most likely putting first tracks into many of those zones for the first time the last several years.
Tell me about it…. I’ve been out for 2 weeks and come up empty. Prices and selection are putting a damper on things for sure!

I’d love to check out some of the riding this winter, if you’re willing to let me tag along… I won’t hold you back.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it…. I’ve been out for 2 weeks and come up empty. Prices and selection are putting a damper on things for sure!

I’d love to check out some of the riding this winter, if you’re willing to let me tag along… I won’t hold you back.

There is a 1950’s bungalow on Pedro cr road they needs the main floor gutted for $500k lol. Nice spot though, right at the base of the FSR, quading/biking, sledding right out your back door.

It has put a damper on things for us as well. It’s not often an opportunity for me to transition to the area comes up but we were thinking in another four or five years it would happen, not this year and the uncertainty in the market is too risky to pay top dollar right now.

I am sure Tethair- and I can manage to drag you into a few spots which would rival most popular sledding areas.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't wanna miss those hi prices :ROFLMAO:

I really don't think you will see much decline in pricing, hopefully the inventory will improve & you can be a little more selective.

The rural pricing has probably seen the biggest gains in pricing & I think it's more just a catch up to a comparable in the larger urban areas.

In my prefect hindsight, I nearly pulled the trigger on 1 acre view lot....strata rules gave me cold feet. That was just prior to the fake pandemic. It went up in price 50%, even if I would done nothing Ha!

Blk88GT

Reaction score
There is a 1950’s bungalow on Pedro cr road they needs the main floor gutted for $500k lol. Nice spot though, right at the base of the FSR, quading/biking, sledding right out your back door.

It has put a damper on things for us as well. It’s not often an opportunity for me to transition to the area comes up but we were thinking in another four or five years it would happen, not this year and the uncertainty in the market is too risky to pay top dollar right now.

I am sure Tethair- and I can manage to drag you into a few spots which would rival most popular sledding areas.

Hard pass on anything that needs that amount of work with a price tag like that. It's just ridiculous, honestly. I'm going to hold for now and see what I can discover out there for riding areas. I will keep in touch for sure. Thank you!

Blk88GT

Reaction score
Don't wanna miss those hi prices :ROFLMAO:

I really don't think you will see much decline in pricing, hopefully the inventory will improve & you can be a little more selective.

The rural pricing has probably seen the biggest gains in pricing & I think it's more just a catch up to a comparable in the larger urban areas.

In my prefect hindsight, I nearly pulled the trigger on 1 acre view lot....strata rules gave me cold feet. That was just prior to the fake pandemic. It went up in price 50%, even if I would done nothing Ha!
The rules some places have are bizarre. I looked at a place in Nakusp that wouldn't allow you to leave your snowmobile in the yard. It had to be inside. How do people come up with this stuff and then advertise it as a "4 season playground"? No thanks, Karen.

Top Bottom