Riding in Clearwater BC

justpinit

Reaction score
So the the wife and I have bought a small fishing lodge in the Clearwater BC area, and will be moving there with our 2 girls this October!! We are super-pumped about the summer activities in the area, but wondering what the sledding is like where we are going to be. The realtor gave me a Canfor recreation map of TFL 18, and it looks like the main trail between Clearwater and 100 Mile House goes almost right past our doorstep! The old owners have always shut the place down every winter, so nobody there is any help with sledding info.

I am seeing the peaks like Grizzly or Hager Mt. have good elevation, and the lodge is at 3850'. Are these areas mostly meadows, or is there some good "above the treeline" alpine riding too?? I have been looking on Google Earth and it LOOKS good from above.

Any Clearwater or Canim Lake/100 Mile House riders on here?? Any advice on the local hotspots would be much appreciated!!

BLUE PLATE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
raft mountain, harp mountain, green mountain are all close to clearwater

So the the wife and I have bought a small fishing lodge in the Clearwater BC area, and will be moving there with our 2 girls this October!! We are super-pumped about the summer activities in the area, but wondering what the sledding is like where we are going to be. The realtor gave me a Canfor recreation map of TFL 18, and it looks like the main trail between Clearwater and 100 Mile House goes almost right past our doorstep! The old owners have always shut the place down every winter, so nobody there is any help with sledding info.

I am seeing the peaks like Grizzly or Hager Mt. have good elevation, and the lodge is at 3850'. Are these areas mostly meadows, or is there some good "above the treeline" alpine riding too?? I have been looking on Google Earth and it LOOKS good from above.

Any Clearwater or Canim Lake/100 Mile House riders on here?? Any advice on the local hotspots would be much appreciated!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Bnorth is the man! He is poking around the site most days and is very knowledgeable of the area. Another contact is Richard Christensen and he can be contacted through the Sno-Drifters or through the BCSF at..... region3@bcsf.org

Last edited:

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
raft mountain, harp mountain, green mountain are all close to clearwater

What he said. Some of my favorite riding is in that area. Spent alot of fantastic days with good friends learning those mountains.
If you go to the right spots we would barely see other riders or tracks on many days.
Most on here probably wouldnt like those areas tho, no groomers lol

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is your lodge in TFL 18 (aka the management or the TFL)? If so what lake is it on?

Join the club for info on all the areas and some club rides to introduce you to them. There is some good trail riding in the TFL and you can find some pretty deep spots as it doesn't get ridden very often however the trail to 100 mile hasn't been used in the winter for a few years and may need some maintenance there is no alpine riding in the TFL. More popular areas are Raft, Harp, Granite, Foghorn. Also Green is close as are all areas accessed from Finn Creek south of Blue River. There are some good local holes too but I will let you learn those from the club instead of posting on an open forum. Be careful of caribou closures and Clearwater has some conditional closures that are only open to club members and special rides.

justpinit

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys!! I was hoping for at least 1 alpine area within riding distance right from the lodge, but sounds like a great area for riding with the wife and kids. I also don't mind loading up the truck for a day trip with the boys for some more challenging terrain! The really good riding seems to be across the valley from where we are, and Valemount and Blue River are easy day trips too!! We have all started doing our own version of the snow dance around this household!! Can't wait for winter!!

Bnorth, we are on Rioux Lake in TFL 18. Moose Camp Fishing Resort We aren't planning to rent out the cabins during winter this year, but will definitely be riding the snot out of our sleds all winter! I will be watching to see when the local club starts holding it's meetings this fall after we have moved up from Kelowna in October.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Dmf

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome, that was the only resort I knew of but didn't realize John was selling. Rd2 should be plowed all winter so most people ride off of Rd1. Club info is available at Aspen Auto Parts or Aspen Service Centre.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a friend I grew up with owns the Clearwater KOA campground, he's told me there's a lot of good riding close by and invites us to come check it out every year....just never got around to taking him up on it.

justpinit

Reaction score
Awesome, that was the only resort I knew of but didn't realize John was selling. Rd2 should be plowed all winter so most people ride off of Rd1. Club info is available at Aspen Auto Parts or Aspen Service Centre.

Yep, John has sold the lodge after 22 years! Since you seem to know where the place is, maybe I will have to try to convince you to give me a "locals only" tour of the area around the resort this winter!!

justpinit

Reaction score
a friend I grew up with owns the Clearwater KOA campground, he's told me there's a lot of good riding close by and invites us to come check it out every year....just never got around to taking him up on it.

I have always heard the same thing! ! Being from Kelowna, we ride at the Graystokes (near Big White Ski Resort) most days, which is kinda flat with meadows full of endless creek beds and burn areas to ride in. Then if the weather is picture perfect we make a few trips to Hunter's Range in Enderby or a bit farther north to Owl's Head in Sicamous. I am now thinking that the area around the lodge might be similar to the Graystokes.

Top Bottom