riders with no or minimal avi training

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Yes I will be leaving my wife and 4 childern home this winter to go ride in Cooke city without proper training..... now you can tell me how much of an azzhole I am,

That's not why you're an azzhole Bog...just sayin':d:d:d:d

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can sit at the bottom of a hill for half an hour befor i make a pull planning it out and thinking of worst case scenerios. while some hotshot blows by me at 100 miles an hour with no escape route and no respect for the terrain he is climbing. does he know where to go when that thing slides? once again not my training just my brain.

I never sit at the bottom of the hill that people are climbing, but will sit off to the side in a safe place. But usually when I do this, I usually end up talking myself out of trying the climb...

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I've had 3 close calls with avalanches in the past 5 years. Every incident was while riding with "professionals of the sport" I mean 20+ years of experience in the mountains and multiple Avy courses under their belts riding the back country. I've never had a wreck with newbies. My point is that you still need a head on your shoulders and like Bogger say's "you can't fix stupid".
Have a safe season everyone and watch out for each other.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is going to golden or so with two guys after christmas........i dont know about the other guys but he has one year sledding in sask. he has a summit and all and he asked me to go. i said i dont know do you guys have packs, shovels, probes, transceivers? hes like no we arent going to do anything serious, just ride the powder and stay away from the big stuff.

im like you should still have that stuff and know how to use a transceiver.........like im no pro and ive never been to the mountains but ive learned alot reading on here and know the basics but there is no way im going with them.

the only thing ive kind of noticed is most newbies arnt brave enough to find real trouble. and its the experienced guys that go deep to where theres not alot of traffic and get into real trouble. a couple friends of mine that are newbies went to revy and i seen the pics and it looks like they road around the hilly feilds the whole time, the most mountains i seen where the pics from the highway and hotel.

i wouldn't say not to go but maybe make sure they have proper equipment and at least take the on-line avi course, and definitly ask for advice at some of these sledding areas.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks tips. you guys need to learn to read.

That's not what was meant by the post.
I was stating that if I sit at the bottom of the hill and look upwards, I usually talk myself out of the climb.
If I sit farther off a bit, it does not look so intimidating and then I wait my turn and give it a pull. Just like you commented.
But Whatever !!
Take it for what you want.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe those with some knowledge can give those that appear not to have any, some. wow what a handful.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this is my take never do anything that ur unsure of, no mater where ur sittin u should always be ready to run...as for traning I don't have any...I would like to think I have the commen sence to keep myself alive,I always pack all the gear and I do know how to use a beacon. hopefully this year I will get a avy course if I have the money. :cool::beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe those with some knowledge can give those that appear not to have any, some. wow what a handful.

talkin to me?:nono:

i pride myself on my avalanche safety and sit back and watch idiots every day. i ride every weekend of the year. have avalanche training. and always stop and point out to people what they are doing wrong.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this is my take never do anything that ur unsure of, no mater where ur sittin u should always be ready to run...as for traning I don't have any...I would like to think I have the commen sence to keep myself alive,I always pack all the gear and I do know how to use a beacon. hopefully this year I will get a avy course if I have the money. :cool::beer:

exactly. park your sleds in a safe direction. keys in.killswitch up. no one in front of you. always be ready.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did all of you take Avy training BEFORE your first trip to the mountains????

Listen I'm all for proper training and equipment ect.... but really. How many people have received avalanch training prior to their first trip??????????? maxwell did you? how about you amy? sledneck? Imdooin? Just askin....

I have never been to the hills, this year will be my first time, I will rent the required equipment, ride with experienced people and use common sense.
Will I take Avi training prior to going????? NO. why you ask???????

I don't have time (how much time is your life worth) I don't have the funds (you can afford a sled, you can afford the training) I'm not going to put myself into a situation where I'll need it (what about the people who might need your help) HEARD MEMBERS THROW THESE AT OTHERS TIME AND TIME AGAIN.......

My answer.... combination of all of the above, I'm lucky to get the opportunity to get away once this winter, my total investment in BOTH sleds is $5500....so no money is not "no object" to me. I will rely on the experience of those I'm with to guide me.

If I find myself in the position in the future to take the course and plan on riding the mountains regularly then you bet your azz I'll take the training....but by the same token I'm not going to pass up on the opportunity to experience riding the hills because I don't have avy training....

In a perfect world everyone would be trained, but a trained idiot is still an idiot..... there is no cure for stupid.....

So Yes I will be leaving my wife and 4 childern home this winter to go ride in Cooke city without proper training..... now you can tell me how much of an azzhole I am,

not sure what your saying there bogger, but the decision is yours to make.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
not sure what your saying there bogger, but the decision is yours to make.

Just pointing out the fact that some poeple are quick to jump on others regarding Avy training.... Most guys started out with no training then in time went to get it, some more willingly and timely than others.
But seems once some folks have it they are very quick to preach to those who don't, forgetting the fact that they themselves once rode without it.

I said in my post I will have the proper equipment and be with experienced riders but there are still those who will condemn me for not taking the training before I go....not pointing fingers just stating opinion based on past observations.

As far as the stupid decions and macho attitudes I doubt training would change the attitude of those individuals...

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just pointing out the fact that some poeple are quick to jump on others regarding Avy training.... Most guys started out with no training then in time went to get it, some more willingly and timely than others.
But seems once some folks have it they are very quick to preach to those who don't, forgetting the fact that they themselves once rode without it.

I said in my post I will have the proper equipment and be with experienced riders but there are still those who will condemn me for not taking the training before I go....not pointing fingers just stating opinion based on past observations.

As far as the stupid decions and macho attitudes I doubt training would change the attitude of those individuals...
I realize im not one to preach about the training since i just got it but the training is not just for you its for the guys you ride with. you say your going to be riding with experienced guys what about when they get burried i guess there sh#t out of luck huh. hows that fair to them

Last edited:

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, for everyone who has informed other sledders about safety, risks, conditions, gear, equipment, locations, accommodations, mechanical issues, towing techniques...or lent a hand, or a roll of duct tape, or a beer....good on ya!. I recall my first mountain trips and learning a ton of stuff 'on the fly' from the guys I went with as well as many others. All of it was informal and 'free' education, but extremely valuable. There are inherent risks to any motor sport and the more training, information and gear you have, will hopefully reduce your risks...but I think we can all agree, there are no guarantees. In the end, we are all out there to have fun but sometimes the ol' impulses take over and we may do some um...'fool-hardy' things (or maybe it's just me). :cool:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Well, for everyone who has informed other sledders about safety, risks, conditions, gear, equipment, locations, accommodations, mechanical issues, towing techniques...or lent a hand, or a roll of duct tape, or a beer....good on ya!. I recall my first mountain trips and learning a ton of stuff 'on the fly' from the guys I went with as well as many others. All of it was informal and 'free' education, but extremely valuable. There are inherent risks to any motor sport and the more training, information and gear you have, will hopefully reduce your risks...but I think we can all agree, there are no guarantees. In the end, we are all out there to have fun but sometimes the ol' impulses take over and we may do some um...'fool-hardy' things (or maybe it's just me). :cool:

X2 .This is how i learned as well .But if i was out in the hills on a regular basis i would take the course ..

Top Bottom