Rhino vs ... opinions

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top speed on a 700 fi is about 42 mph, if you do a MSD ignition ,sheaves,clutch work you might hit 55 ish. These are GPS speeds on rhinos i ride with, alittle slower with heavier tires.....

2 RIDGEBACKS

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies , very good info My Kodiak 400 isnt the most poerful machine either but it has been boolitproof reliable for me . Like I said I'm not a speed demon but want reliable . I don't need to win any races , as long as I have the power to get around without feeling I have to fight for every mile.I am going to look at the Teryx /Rhino,and RZR and it will come down to bang for the buck I guess .
Not just that,remember its easier to drive home slower,than to push the thing or tow it:eek:Japanese is the best

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned an 08 teryx, and currently own an 09 and a 2010. 09 is bone stock with tires and it is as reliable as anything out there. My 2010 is highly modified and still relatively reliable, just a matter of working out the bugs. Point being the Teryx is IMO the way to go. Sure it is slightly bigger than a Rhino, but not enough to make it an issue. The motor overcomes the size difference and the trails are growing larger to accommodate the bigger machines. The teryx is still smaller than most full size Rangers. The Teryx has better suspension, better brakes, more power, more speed, and more potential than a Rhino for equal or less money. Almost a no brainer, just sayin.:beer:

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy the Rhino its the most reliable of them all,yeah it has less power but like your quad it wont let you down.The other makes like the shop thats for sure;)

Are you speaking from experience? The only time's my Teryx's have needed repairs is after a serious case of the Stupid's. Self inflicted damage will get even the best machine every time!:beer:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you speaking from experience? The only time's my Teryx's have needed repairs is after a serious case of the Stupid's. Self inflicted damage will get even the best machine every time!:beer:

Ya got to love when as soon as you say it has more power ,then it becomes "unreliable"....lol. The kawi motor is as strong as any ever made.
My TWO rzrs have over 4000 miles of pure abuse,never been towed home yet...

My point is they are ALL reliable now, for the most part. To say the others are less reliable than a rhino is simply not the truth .How many owners of rhino`s have switched to other brands after owning a rhino ? How many owners have switched to a rhino from another brand ?

How many owners of rhinos claim the other brands are not reliable but DO NOT own one of the others.....

I am not bashing the rhino they are a proven machine ,however that does have little to do with the so called reliability of the other brands.....IMO

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree sort of.

All these motors are entirely reliable unless you do something to them.

sink a BF and it will either start right up or be dead for ever "in words of the sandlot 4 Ev ERRR".

I spent hours think 12 hrs out in coldlake may lakes ordeal ,helping someone with a BF it was a nightmare perhaps the worst ATV experience i ever had in my entire life.

not to go into detail we couldn't get the bike running after he drown it.

i had drown my bike twice that day in same conditions "before i snorkeled my machine lol" and had it running within 2 min each time.

His Vtwin we spend 5 to 6 hrs on then it got dark.. we never did get it running Vtwins are a b lets just say that and this guy was a air force mechanic with tons of tools in the box.

It would not start.

Towing him back long story short. -- crashed bike towing into ruts snapped tie rod. pulled backwards against my strong recommendations of not doing so and snapped CV-- pulled like that flipped ATV down hill nearly killed owner. ofc that has nothing to do with kawi as a brand just how bad things can turn when you cant actually drive your atv out on your own power.

that's the difference in my honest opinion between a Twin and a single in a nut shell.

Vtwins are the very best in performance no denying it but the first damn thing you should do is snorkel those SOB and never ever ever ever drown them or screw them up in any way.

Otherwise buy a Single such as a rhino and you will always get it started.

My next machine will be a twin but mark my words .. snorkeled right away before first ride.

but with the way my bike performs that will be like in 2015 or perhaps a UTV.

ps
To be fair i should say i have seen a 750 BF drown in muskeg a couple times and once in a river and we started it right up.
but i swear to Christ we could not get the one in cold lake started we tried everything known to man even ether.
Vtwins can be a SOB that way

Rogue Rhino

Reaction score
I have done some mods to my Rhino MSD ignition modual , muzzys, stage one rapptor cam , no other internal work. greaseless overdrive clutch wieghts 18 gram gold secondary spring. Bill ;)

Altapeet

Reaction score

One concern I have with the Teryx is the weight , at 1388 lbs it is almost 200 lbs heavier than the Rhino and almost 400 heavier than the RZR how does it stack when riding the skeg ? Sometimes you just have to cross those muskeg areas to get where you shouldn't be :)

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One concern I have with the Teryx is the weight , at 1388 lbs it is almost 200 lbs heavier than the Rhino and almost 400 heavier than the RZR how does it stack when riding the skeg ? Sometimes you just have to cross those muskeg areas to get where you shouldn't be :)

1000lbs, 1200lbs or 1400lbs really doesn't make a difference in skeg. My buddy and his RZR-S sinks just as bad as my teryx. What works the best for me is fat tires and no roosting, then if it breaks through its plan B BALLS OUT :beer:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1000lbs, 1200lbs or 1400lbs really doesn't make a difference in skeg. My buddy and his RZR-S sinks just as bad as my teryx. What works the best for me is fat tires and no roosting, then if it breaks through its plan B BALLS OUT :beer:

doesnt matter how heavy it is, there is a whole world of hunting areas my rhino can go but no other side by side can because they are to wide. the river is to deep and to fast to cross, and the oil companies are old school and have narrow steel bridges all over.

like this one for instance. my rhino was the only side by side to cross, the knock off side by side was even to wide and the polaris ranger had no chance.

13eb17ac.jpg

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doesnt matter how heavy it is, there is a whole world of hunting areas my rhino can go but no other side by side can because they are to wide. the river is to deep and to fast to cross, and the oil companies are old school and have narrow steel bridges all over.

like this one for instance. my rhino was the only side by side to cross, the knock off side by side was even to wide and the polaris ranger had no chance.

13eb17ac.jpg

RZR could probably cross that. Keep in mind, I'm referring to the base RZR, nor an S model.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like hell I would take a razr hunting. With the gear we pack in good luck. Not only would I have to worry about towing my moose home I would have to worry about someone towing me home

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rzr is narrower than your rhino !!! I could of drove a teryx across there with offset rims ...lol SOME of you rhino guys really don`t have a clue....sorry

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rzr is narrower than your rhino !!! I could of drove a teryx across there with offset rims ...lol SOME of you rhino guys really don`t have a clue....sorry

dont have a clue :crap:

yes a teryk with offset rims would work, but it sure would ruin your trip to get all the way out to the area to find out you cant cross and should of put offset rims on. and plainly i would not take a razr hunting. just my 2 cents!!

Altapeet

Reaction score
Like hell I would take a razr hunting. With the gear we pack in good luck. Not only would I have to worry about towing my moose home I would have to worry about someone towing me home

We took my buddy's stock RZR hunting last fall,it was ok except it was a bit low so would scrub bottom in some spots . we were just using it as transportation mind you and we weren't hauling a lot of gear on it,so it was fine. I guess if we had connected with a moose (we didn't) we would have dragged it out same as with a smaller quad. He has a snow blade on it too for the winter and it is surprising the work that little sport ute can do.

Altapeet

Reaction score
I also went and looked at the Can Am today and although it is nice I felt like it was way overkill for a trail machine ,it felt very big almost car like .Even though it specs out as not really that much bigger than any other unit,it felt that way .It is also a heavy bugger at 1400lb dry weight:eek: The price was typical BRP pricing , IE ; high end ..I realize they are priced according to what they feel is a high end machine though and will certainly have a following,I was told at riverside that i wouldn't be able to take delivery till June at the earliest and Martins told me April...that helped to steer me in another direction.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To bad there is so much snow in the ditchs, once you get them sidehilling and off camber nothing can touch the S. It has the most ground clearence with the lowest center of gravity....Remember ,not much body english in a S/S......

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also went and looked at the Can Am today and although it is nice I felt like it was way overkill for a trail machine ,it felt very big almost car like .Even though it specs out as not really that much bigger than any other unit,it felt that way .It is also a heavy bugger at 1400lb dry weight:eek: The price was typical BRP pricing , IE ; high end ..I realize they are priced according to what they feel is a high end machine though and will certainly have a following,I was told at riverside that i wouldn't be able to take delivery till June at the earliest and Martins told me April...that helped to steer me in another direction.

im not dead set on the the rhino, all I know is that I have a 04 rhino 660 that runs as good today as it did off the showroom, and thats after 7+ years of rocks, muskeg, water, snow, dirt, you name it. its hauled many moose out of our trapeline in house river alberta, never left me stranded, and only regular maintenance, oil, filters, brake pads. still on original belt today! pretty sad they pushed the 04 out if the way with a flat tire and stole my 08 parked behind it. basssstards

I love how polaris has the different models to appeal to everyone, but ive never been sold on polaris for their reliability. i really like the new can am, but i felt the steering pretty stiff and not sure about all the electronics. i know BRP builds a stand up product, so im sure it will be fine. im curious if yamaha has something up their sleeve for the upcoming model year.

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive ridden in and driven a rhino and i have to say from my experience there a good little unit, smaller than the ranger if i remember correctly, but with that i found they were lacking a little bit of spunk that the rzr has, but the ranger has straight through power. Havent ridden or tried kawasaki or honda. But if your a mudder, you may be dissapointed with the rhino.

Top Bottom