Rhino Recall

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 31, 2009
Release #09-172 CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Yamaha Motor Corp. Offers Free Repair For 450 and 660 Model Rhino Vehicles
CPSC advises consumers not to use the off-road vehicles until repaired
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with Yamaha Motor Corp. U.S.A., of Cypress, Calif., is announcing a free repair program to address safety issues with all Rhino 450 and 660 model off-highway recreational vehicles. Yamaha has also agreed to voluntarily suspend sale of these models immediately until repaired. Consumers should immediately stop using these popular recreational vehicles until the repair is installed by a dealer.

CPSC staff has investigated more than 50 incidents involving 46 driver and passenger deaths in these two Rhino models. More than two-thirds of the cases involved rollovers and many involved unbelted occupants. Of the rollover-related deaths and hundreds of reported injuries, some of which were serious, many appear to involve turns at relatively low speeds and on level terrain.

About 120,000 of the 450 and 660 model Rhinos have been distributed nationwide since Fall 2003. Some units have been equipped by Yamaha with half doors and additional passenger handholds, either before or after sale.

Yamaha’s repair includes the installation of a spacer on the rear wheels as well as the removal of the rear anti-sway bar to help reduce the chance of rollover and improve vehicle handling, and continued installation of half doors and additional passenger handholds where these features have not been previously installed to help keep occupants’ arms and legs inside the vehicle during a rollover and reduce injuries. Owners of the affected Rhinos should stop using them and call their dealer to schedule an appointment to have repairs made once they are available and to take advantage of a free helmet offer.

Once these repairs have been made to their vehicles, Rhino users should always wear their helmet and seatbelt and follow the safety instructions and warnings in the on-product labels, owner’s manuals and other safety materials. The Rhino is only recommended for operators 16 and older with a valid driver’s license. All passengers must be tall enough to place both feet on the floorboard with their back against the seat back.

For additional information, contact Yamaha at 800-962-7926 anytime, or visit the firm’s Web site at America's Most Diverse - Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, Home

Send the link for this page to a friend! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at . To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Rhino Recall when will it end.

as a dealer i received the latest recall, and once again i shake my head.

Dont get me wrong i am as much for the safety of the user as anyone, it does not do me any good to see these stats with accidents etc. But what is the Limit.

No recalls or bulletins on Polaris or Arctic Cat, or Kawasaki, very much the same unit. I guess common sense and proper use should be given out with the machine when it is purchased.

I rent the machines and have since 2004 and also the prowlers, and thank fully have had no problems, however we do instruct the users on common sense operation and safety features.

In a nut shell the recall which is VOLUNTARY is comprised of removing the rear swaybar assembly and installing spacers on the rear wheels. sounds to me like that will make it more of a problem.

These people who are tipping at slow speeds are they really qualified and properly instructed on the correct use of the units and is it on an off camber or what? Probably newbies who know everything and then when it hits the fan its the fault of the unit or manufacture.

I guess it will end when they recall the steering wheels. politics, time to spend money on e-d-u-c-a-t-i-o-n of the users and make licensing manitory or they will all end up be so restricted that we wont be able to operate them
at all.

T.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Adding a 3" spacer to each rear wheel and removing the sway bar is not going to do much in my opinion. BUT you do get a free helmet.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Adding a 3" spacer to each rear wheel and removing the sway bar is not going to do much in my opinion. BUT you do get a free helmet.

thats very true, so what do you say to the couple hundred customers we sold too since 04, sorry bud but for safety reasons we need to take parts off your rhino, oh ya and were going to put in a spacer on the rear wheel, hopefully that wont make you pop any axles. and not sure about the helmet as my bulletin from yamaha never said anything about a helmet.

wish me luck... its soo much fun dealing with all these politics - still waiting for the steering wheel recall, lol:(

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wonder when they will stop the sale of trampolines and recall all of them. Anyone ever check the stats on how many kids get hurt on them every year ??

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or what about the people doing Kinky sex, thats bad stuff:)

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

from rhino safety to kinky sex, sounds like a riding partner..... ha ha, i guess its just to much to ask for these guys who come up with these rules and regs to just say no to crack!!!! really....

Top Bottom