Rhino Power

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Rhino. 700EFI Special Edition. It's my first Side by, and it seems low on power. I got a smokin' deal on it due to some issues I fixed, (Head gasket, cosmetics) but it seems low on power. Compression is good. But I can't hit the rev limiter in High range on pavement, and it'll rarely hit it in Low. Top speed is ~57km/h indicated. Unit is stock, with 26" Mud lites on it. I've re-rollered and greased the primary, dis-assembled and cleaned the secondary, and a new belt. Air filter is clean..What to check next, as I don't think sheer gutless-ness is normal.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have any other issues with it, like problems starting, stalling, sputtering, etc?

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, seems to run fine, usually fourth revolution it's running, and seems to run ok when out on her..What were you thinking?
New plug installed too.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that will be about all you will get out of it unless you chip it. Mine off the floor with the same set up as yous maxed out at 55km/hr. Put the chip in it and now maxes out about 70km/hr

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is only a single cyl,and heavy. it will never be as powerful as the rzr or can am. clutching will help, as well as chip, they are more utility than performance, and really how fast do you want to go on the trail or in the mud.

thekrust

Reaction score
55-57 km top speed on the flat is too slow. Something is not right, the speed/rev limiter is set at 64kmh and it should hit that without a great struggle. I have a 660 and with just clutching and a CDI that raises the rev limit by 1000rpm, I can cruise all day long at 75 kmh and hit a top speed of 95-98kmh depending on the tailwind - also on 26in tires.
Take a look at the spark plug after running it wid open for a bit and see if it is running rich or lean, could be a fuel delivery problem. Could also be a problem in the clutching. if the rollers are too heavy it will try to overshift and bog it down. What elevation do you normally ride at??

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree it should hit the rev limiter fairly easy on pavement in high range, my bud's 700 EFI will do it even on dirt trails. with the clutch mods he did it will now do right around 80km/hr and still hits the limiter.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're around this weekend I may be able to come look at it. I was going to put my factory cage back on mine tomorrow morning and take it to the shop to wash.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, i'll be around sat afternoon, and all day sunday...I'm going to double check my cam timing tonight, in case I'm a tooth out...

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just informed by my wife that I have to go buy a dryer in the morning or I will be doing my own laundry, but if you pm me your number i'll text you tomorrow.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats next I guess....Can't remember if i checked valves or not when i was doing the head gasket(beer was involved), i think i did but won't hurt to check.
Spark plug looks good, maybe a bit too white, but didn't alarm me...
Valve Timing is spot on, Exhaust screen was a bit plugged, going to take it for a brap tomorrow afternoon to the beer store and see if having the spark arrestor out helps at all....AWTY is going to come give me a rhino owner opinion tomorrow...

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a jbs sheave and od weights orange epi spring in my 660 and hit 80 km with full cage look up jbs hot rod sheaves the rock

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a rhino 2008 se 700efi bigbore,chip,clutch,exuast..ect that would go 130 on pavement(according to the speedo) and it was on 30's!! No joke.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but it's not hitting the rev limiter with the stock set up, i'm not throwing money at it for more speed until i get the engine or clutching figured....otherwise it'll just be masking the problem...

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm, you should get the rev limiter easily. when 700 was all stock in high range with roof and windshield i was at quarter throttle or a hair more on gravel bumping the rev limiter with 26 in. XTR's.

hope it's a simple stupid fix. I'm trying to think whats causing it.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a look into it and he is going to pull the wet clutch and have a look, it was used and I thought it would be good to know then at least he won't have to worry about it later on. Belt and sheaves looked good, sounds like it runs fine,.. I should have maybe rev'd it out to see primary speed but I didn't had my phototac with me.

Top Bottom