Rhino guys! No reverse!

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08 700 I've Checked the linkage and all is good. Moves forward fine in low and high. I have searched the net and found that it is most likely the bushing on the reverse idle gear. Couldn't find anything on here in regards to this through search function. I'm am just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with this or info in regards to how long time wise I am looking at to pull engine, split case, i am a journeyman mech. So i am thinkng this something i can under take and possible part #. Thanks for any help.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08 700 I've Checked the linkage and all is good. Moves forward fine in low and high. I have searched the net and found that it is most likely the bushing on the reverse idle gear. Couldn't find anything on here in regards to this through search function. I'm am just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with this or info in regards to how long time wise I am looking at to pull engine, split case, i am a journeyman mech. So i am thinkng this something i can under take and possible part #. Thanks for any help.

have had this happen on both 700 grizz and rhino there is snaprings which hold the reverse gear in place however there is an upgrade which is bushings between the case so this cannot happen again mech that did it for me is no longer around so not sure where he got it but do know there is an upgrade i know its not much help but hopefully point you in a good direction

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have read this link already and have been incontact with benchmark to order a kit. I am more looking for length of time it should take to pull the engine and split case if anyone has done one thanks

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what'ws the problem , just keep going forward, reverse is for puzzy's that just csn't make it. :p;):d:d

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have read this link already and have been incontact with benchmark to order a kit. I am more looking for length of time it should take to pull the engine and split case if anyone has done one thanks

I would say I could do it, but I have no time. Have you called Terry at T&T powersports in Bonnyville?

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the rhinoforums website there is a link to the factory service manual. Split cases on a 700 grizz and I think it took about 6-7 hours? Not real sure, lots of bs'n and "pop" while doing it. Plan on replacing timing chain and oil pump chain while it is open.

Last edited:

vinson4ever

Reaction score
Got a buddy who had the same problem. No reverse. Took it into dealership found out tranny was pooched. Not sure what broke but it cost him five grand to fix. Of course, no warranty. I'm sure the reason these things are breaking is because he's got a big cab on it, windshield, heater, doors, etc.The thing weighs a ton. Plus he's got big tires on it. You start playing in the mud something got to give. My opinion these machines are not designed to handle all this weight.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think the weight is a big problem. The wet clutch is the weak link in a yamaha drivetrain and it should slip before anything else gets damaged. Jamming it into gear while the engine is revved up is the most likely problem. I find I'm always missing reverse on mine and hitting the gas when I'm in neutral, when that happens you need to wait at least five seconds for the clutch to disengage before you put it in gear otherwise they make some ugly noises :(

MHC73

Reaction score
I was told when I got my 09 Rhino NOT to spin the tires going in reverse in 2WD OR you will take out that gear in the rear diff. I never did BUT two of my buddies did. Wasn't too bad of a job. 3-4 hours but also a little foggy having pops....

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just an update. I used it through the holidays and once in a while reverse was there for about 4ft then then jumP out, which more less comfermed my thought of the reverse idler gear clip. Brought it home pulled the engine and split the case pretty straight forward I have about 4 hrs into it just for inspection. Bushing was worn and clip was off allowing gear to slid out. I order the updated kit from Benchmark today, oil pump seemed a little loose but other than that it all looked good. Also just for the record I have 1150km.

Last edited:
Top Bottom