respecting wildlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Okay....I'm far from being a tree hugger, but yesterday I was out along the Sturgeon river by Lac Ste Anne. We found a decent field to play around in that wasn't too tracked up yet. I noticed what I thought was a rock that had been uncovered by a sled, but when I got up to it I found out it was a coyote that had obviously been hit intentionally by someone. The reason I say that it was hit intentionally was that this was not on a trail and you could see where the coyote had been ran down from. I know that coyotes are not protected and alot of people see them as pests, but they are living animals and they are scavengers that eat real vermin like mice.
I have no problem if a farmer is shooting them because they are threatening they're animals. That's quick and painless in most cases and farmers have the right to shoot pests on they're property. This poor coyote most likely suffered a pretty painful death. What kind of sick #*$hole does this?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah I hear ya. Guilty in my younger days. Used to chase them on sled. Not proud of it now that I grew up. Wish now that I hadn't so that I could diss these guys, but unfortunately I can't. Kettle calling the pot Black syndrom. If I could erase every stupid thing I did in my life with the stroke of a pen I would but I can't. The only thing that I can do is to pass on my experiences to the younger generations and openly admit to my wrong doings and hope that they will be smarter than I was when I was young. WISDOM COMES FROM LIFE EXPERIENCES. GOOD, BAD, AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN. let us be the ones that teach our young to do the right things.

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah I hear ya. Guilty in my younger days. Used to chase them on sled. Not proud of it now that I grew up. Wish now that I hadn't so that I could diss these guys, but unfortunately I can't. Kettle calling the pot Black syndrom. If I could erase every stupid thing I did in my life with the stroke of a pen I would but I can't. The only thing that I can do is to pass on my experiences to the younger generations and openly admit to my wrong doings and hope that they will be smarter than I was when I was young. WISDOM COMES FROM LIFE EXPERIENCES. GOOD, BAD, AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN. let us be the ones that teach our young to do the right things.

Thanks Pipes, I here ya and good wisdom. I did some pretty shatty stuff when I was young. But the dam coyote was faster than me.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heard there is a rundown coyote on the fort trails also. Not good to hear. One month we help save horses next month we get caught running over coyotes. Animal abuse must stop.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard there is a rundown coyote on the fort trails also. Not good to hear. One month we help save horses next month we get caught running over coyotes. Animal abuse must stop.

I'm with you Sledderglen. The grey in my hair didn't come without its mistakes. grey is living long enough to see those mistake and educate the ones that don't have the grey

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we come upon a moose or an elk on the trail we stop and let it do it's thing, then if we can, we turn around and pick a different trail. The other night my daughter and I encountered a few mule deer when we were out for a ride. I explained to my daughter that we have to let them stay calm so they don't get stressed out and burn energy or panic and hurt themselves. She will have respect for wildlife when she is old enough to ride.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we come upon a moose or an elk on the trail we stop and let it do it's thing, then if we can, we turn around and pick a different trail. The other night my daughter and I encountered a few mule deer when we were out for a ride. I explained to my daughter that we have to let them stay calm so they don't get stressed out and burn energy or panic and hurt themselves. She will have respect for wildlife when she is old enough to ride.

good for you mom. I don't see any grey in your avi so aI have to assume you have been educated by some wise people

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
Part of the sledding experience is the outdoors, scenery and wildlife. It just takes a few idiots to ruin a good thing. These stories get out and sledders in general get a bad name. The worst thing is that many of our sledding areas are being closed because of lowlifes like this that have no respect.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, some just comes with life experience too I guess. I certainly was no angel. I remember the days that my dad and I were fishing where we shouldn't, when we shouldn't. I would have been, maybe 8. If there was a helicopter flying overhead my dad told me to dive into the trees and stay still. It took me a very long time to lose the panic feeling from a helicopter if I was fishing!LoL! I try to teach my children respect and ethics as it pertains to hunting and fishing. I incorporate in to their homeschool studies.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron I read those last night, those two are most probably mental cases and are some of the problems we have in are society. On Sunday I came across a coyote and some mule deer two different times. I stopped and watched how beatiuful they were when they moved on i moved on.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Removed some posts that were not about respecting wildlife. Before you hit the reply button and do your post please review it, if you know it will cause some problems, why post it.

That's too bad that people feel the need to justify their actions and condemn all of us to public scrutiny. Those individuals need to realise they are negatively representing sledders with their actions. Running down a defenseless animal demonstrates total lack of conscience, morals and is extremely dis-respectful to all the other sledders who have worked so hard to promote sledding in a positive light. If it affects your livelihood, there are more humane ways to kill an animal. If this is someone's idea of fun, they are a coward and deeply disturbed.

I sure hope it was no one from the forum that I have sledded with.

Good on you rk.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Removed some posts that were not about respecting wildlife. Before you hit the reply button and do your post please review it, if you know it will cause some problems, why post it.

That was a good thing....I was quite ticked last night and bit my tongue, said I'll reply in the morning.

Growing up is trying and without good role models it is really trying. We have to be responsible for our actions and take the consequences. It is difficult keeping areas for our sport open and harrassing wildlife and writing about it isn't helping.

In another thread, the caribou closures have been bad mouthed and some people just don't get it.

Be pro-active and help with our image, it will go a long way to keep snowmobiling an exciting and continuing sport.

Thanks again for your action rk.....

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something really cool. I was talking to a man from the Snowmobiling club here in Creston. They put up Cariboo warning signs up Leadville creek, stating, if you encounter the cariboo, leave the area.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Something really cool. I was talking to a man from the Snowmobiling club here in Creston. They put up Cariboo warning signs up Leadville creek, stating, if you encounter the cariboo, leave the area.

When we see wildlife we usually turn the other way and be as quiet as possible not to distrub them.

Mayfly

Reaction score
I need to apologize for my posts from yesterday,it was uncalled for and will exercise more restraint. This is a great forum and does need to be held in check or it will turn into SW.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My self I never make as hunter i enjoy watching wildlife .This past weekend
on T.C.S.T six of us came across herd of about ten whitetail it was great to
see .all we did was back off to idil they were not scare .They actual stare us
down. THe red fox was neet to see .good rides good freinds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom