Residual oils in intake side of carb

Canadian_bacon

Reaction score
Hey all, I just took a flash light and had a look in my carb when I had the air filter off and took a rag and wiped out some residual oil and carbon on the intake side of the carb. What is this an indication of? I believe the filter sock also had fine carbon particle dust on it. Any ideas? I have no idling or running issues.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
crankcase breather vent on most machines routes to intake, usually where the oil comes from.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most crankcase hoses vent into the airbox... not the intake on quads or sxs's .... the intake is a direct result of getting minor dirt thru your air cleaner and depoisting on your carb or Throttle body and on the walls of the intake... this is normal... there is no way you can keep your walls of the TB or carb or intake 100% clean... there will always be a thin film of residue over time... this is why you should clean the carb or TB walls and inside the intake about twice a year by rubbing the walls clean or using a cleaner like carb cleaner or similiar...

that said... depending on what you run for an air cleaner... some filter the air better then others... a Outerwear sock on the air cleaner helps alot too...

now sometimes depending on how healthy your engine is.... some engines like to breath more oily vapor into the airbox so if your getting more crankcase oily air into the airbox then more will get thru the air cleaner and then more will be deposited on your carb and intake walls...

now if you have oily residue on the intake side of the carb... then if you take your carb off you will have more of that on the bottom side of the carb and on the walls of the intake itself....

Last edited:
Top Bottom