repaired pull start not engaging?

Chuckt5

Reaction score
The pull start on my '06 REV packed it in a while back and when I opened it up, the larger plastic wheel with the arm on it was broken. I replaced all the parts that looked worn or broken and put the pull start back on the sled.

Now when I go and pull on the cord, it doesn't pull over the engine and engage it at all! Its acting like it did before the repair!

I was careful to align the numbers on the pull start as it was before I took it off, so I don't know what else could be wrong. Did I miss some kind of step reinstalling the pull start, or is the metal cup mounted to the engine also worn out?

Any ideas guys?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
metal cup deffinetly isnt worn out. when the recoil is off, check that the "pawl" (red plastic peice) is sliding to the outside of the housing as far as it can. sometimes i have seen them get hung up about half way and you can actually move it the rest of the way with your finger to check.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I've had my fair share of recoils failing on my Rev's. Have torn them down and put in rebuild lots and to date, none have lasted very long.
Now I just suck it up and order a brand new one from Doo and install. Just did one last fall and one 3 years ago on other sled.jist my 2 cents of input.

Sent from my phone ---- is anyone listening ?

Chuckt5

Reaction score
That make sense about the pawl not going all the way out and engaging the cup. I didn't clean everything very well in my excitement to get it all back together. Maybe some stuff is causing it to hang up. I'll take a closer look when I open it up again.

I would put a new one in but I am up at our cabin and don't have access to one right now. I'll see if I can get this one working and get a new one for next time.

Thanks guys.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That make sense about the pawl not going all the way out and engaging the cup. I didn't clean everything very well in my excitement to get it all back together. Maybe some stuff is causing it to hang up. I'll take a closer look when I open it up again.

I would put a new one in but I am up at our cabin and don't have access to one right now. I'll see if I can get this one working and get a new one for next time.

Thanks guys.

ya just like SBR says even if you totally rebuild it, seems thats always atemporary fix at best. myself aswell have always ended up replacing the entire unit for reliability sake. they just never seem to work as good as a new one.

if you can get it working for now then you will have a spare.

mlipiec

Reaction score
Just rebuilt mine hand had the same thing, when i installed mine i put the disc with the little post on the wrong side of the little posts that catch and throw the pawl out (horrible description I know) it need to be in between the catches on the short side of the arc and not on the outside. Worked great for two rides and it screwed up again so a complete new SPI one is in the mail

Chuckt5

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I rebuilt mine and made the same mistake! It wouldn't even pull over until I fixed it. After that it worked a few times then stoped all together.

I'm going to order a brand new one and rebuild the original as an emergency back up for up at the cabin.

nielsy

Reaction score
put a spi on my sled worked 2 weekends then bite the bullet bought a brp worked ever since

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fixed mine after taking it in and out a couple of times. One can of brake clean to get all the crap out. and then a couple of pinches of dry graphite. It has never worked so good the pawl comes out with a very slow pull now. I bet come winter time it will work just as good with no grease in it. That dry graphite is slippery sh!t.

Top Bottom