Renegade CDI box & Electrical issues

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have an 2007 Renegade and Im not getting any spark. Changed my coil as I thought that was what was causing this. Now I am going to go through the wiring as per the shop manual and look for any issues. If I dont find any break in any wires or anything the next thing is to look at the CDI box. Im thinking that can be expensive, before I go out and buy I would rather swap mine and just make sure thats what it is. I have not priced this at the dealer yet, found one online aftermarket so far.

Its at Alba Racing

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
re: Renegade CDI box & Electrical issues

Just went through this with my Outty 500, no spark. Looked at the fuses and found that the 5amp ignition fuse was not burnt, but broken, really had to look closely to see the break. Maybe that helps.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

Checked everything over with the Ohm meter. It could possibly be the key. The numbers that I'm coming up with are totally out. It says the number should not be more than 1, im like between 2 and 4. I will check with the dealer on Monday.

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was reading on another forum that the key(dess) can give you problems also, was recommended to put some dielectric on the key first, if that doesnt work you might need a new key programmed.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
So I found the problem after taking the entire harness apart. As I had no ignition I figured it may be a wire to the coil. The center wire purple with a green stripe goes to a connector then to the fuse panel. I did an test on the wire about 5" from the fuse panel and it was good, so I stripped the wire right to the fuse panel and about 3/8" from the back of the panel the wire was white and looked like it was stretched. So I carefully stripped it and it was broken and corroded. There is only 1/8" wire left sticking out the back of the fuse panel. I put an alligator clamp on there and the other end and hooked up the computer and the quad started right away. The harness was full of mud and still quite wet. There is alot of mud in the connectors. Going to clean it real good and let it dry for the night. Kinda glad I have an understanding of this stuff, I'm sure this would of cost a few bucks to fix. The only issue I have is I need to replace that wire inside if the fuse box.

She's Alive!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306707971.990707.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306707971.990707.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 85
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306708028.678159.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306708028.678159.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 98
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306708069.476235.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306708069.476235.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 140
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306708091.574536.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306708091.574536.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I was reading on another forum that the key(dess) can give you problems also, was recommended to put some dielectric on the key first, if that doesnt work you might need a new key programmed.

I took the key box apart cleaned the insides, re-greased and put back together. I recommend this, the grease was getting dry and then you get wear.

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Nice csi work on that harness. Its to bad we expect so much out of our Can Ams, because if we took it easy like the other brand riders we too would have less problems to repair.:)

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Thx, the wire wasn't cut yet. It was just white for about 1/4". I couldn't get the wire out of the fuse box without that section falling apart, it's quite brittle. So u took the other wire out as well and will put a small fuse holder and a 1.5 amp fuse beside the fuse panel. Now have to clean up all the mud off the harness and get it all back together and ready for the season.

Top Bottom