Removing skid?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question for yeah folks, I am struggling to get the drop bracket bolts out. I freed up the lock tight no problem. And I can get both bolts out ,but not at the same time lol. Is there a way to jam or grip the axle shaft so it doesn't spin?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

the_pegasus

Reaction score
Keep playing, it takes a while to loosen both bolts out, took me at least 40 min to drop the skid in my freeride a few weeks ago. lots of righty tighty lefty loosie

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep playing, it takes a while to loosen both bolts out, took me at least 40 min to drop the skid in my freeride a few weeks ago. lots of righty tighty lefty loosie
Ha I'm three beer in already.
Outlook not good.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beer #4 , problem solved on the rear.

There is a small drain hole.in the cross tube, applied the slightest amount of force to the inner shaft and was able to thread bolts out by hand.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I loosen them and snug them on both sides, then run an impact driver. Works every time.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good quick impact usually has no issues removing them without all sorts of fancy ways to retain the other side other than a wrench.

I have heard of people pulling one side then using a jam nut to hold that side out a bit if you only have regular hand tools. Never tried myself.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
A good quick impact usually has no issues removing them without all sorts of fancy ways to retain the other side other than a wrench.

I have heard of people pulling one side then using a jam nut to hold that side out a bit if you only have regular hand tools. Never tried myself.

Easy peasy.
Remove one side add a jam unt. Thread back in partially and tighten jam nut.
Remove opposte side. Loosen jam nut and unthread by hand.

Just as Take The Bounce stated.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'll have to get a longer bolt and jamb nut for the tool box

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_20161118_010315.jpg
Great Success

coolcam

Reaction score
I drilled a small hole in the shaft to line up with the drain hole once I got it out so that next time I can insert a pin to keep the shaft from spinning.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beat me to it. I did the same thing.only issue, which really never became an issue, the little metal rod I stuck in as the pin bent into enough of an S shape it was stuck in there.

coolcam

Reaction score
I'd recommend using a small Allen key. They are pretty tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rooter

Reaction score
Beer #4 , problem solved on the rear.

There is a small drain hole.in the cross tube, applied the slightest amount of force to the inner shaft and was able to thread bolts out by hand.

I love the beer count - you gotta be Canadian ;-)

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get out your heat gun, lay heat directly on the head of the bolt for a while, work the bolt in and out a few times. Do the same for the other side making sure you have the previous side tight then loosen one bolt so it’s out about a 1/4” and go to the other side and start to loosen that one. Using a impact is the key for sure. We dropped out both skids on my sleds un under 10 minutes doing this.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get out your heat gun, lay heat directly on the head of the bolt for a while, work the bolt in and out a few times. Do the same for the other side making sure you have the previous side tight then loosen one bolt so it’s out about a 1/4” and go to the other side and start to loosen that one. Using a impact is the key for sure. We dropped out both skids on my sleds un under 10 minutes doing this.
Ah, I got that bolt out last year.
The jam nut technique seems to be the best.

Last edited:

RichardJ

Reaction score
I am having the same problem getting my rear skid bolts out. Can get either one out but never both at the same time. I tried the jam nut technique with the stock bolt but it would not seem to grab and I can't find a longer one with more thread length anywhere close by. Are you guys using the stock bolt with a jam nut? Wondering if I am doing something wrong....

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stock bolt is to short for the jam nut technique you need to get something longer.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Steel a bolt from some other location on sled .
Us it and re install .
I believe A arm bolts are the same

Top Bottom