removing secondary

guido88gt

Reaction score
do i need a puller to remove my secondary clutch? cant find a straight answer anywhere

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no just remove bolt and it just slides off some have a key way and others have a splined shaft do not loose the spacers on the shaft if there is any you only need a puller for your drive clutch

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IIRC the XP needs the jackshaft & secondary pulled together then you can access the the 4 allen bolts on the inside of the inner sheave that hold the secondary to the shaft.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remove both side panels.
Behind secondary there is a plate which holds bearing inside secondary clutch tower, A ratchet wrench makes it easy. 1 bolt.
POP off the upper chaincase plug, remove bolt from end of shaft.
Find a deep socket,slightly smaller than the splined shaft. attach this to an extension.
Warm up clutch tower with a heat gun, go to the other side and tap socket/extension lightly to slip shaft out.. LEAVE socket inside until you are ready to reinstall.

Slide out shaft. It's pretty easy once you figure it out.
If you pull the socket out, you will have to remove the chaincase cover to retrieve upper gear.

It can be done by yourself but a little easier with a helper.

guido88gt

Reaction score
thanks, came off without a problem... will the juggs come off without pulling the whole motor out?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, it comes off, I think the reed boots can also even stay on.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks, came off without a problem... will the juggs come off without pulling the whole motor out?

Ya they come out no problem without pulling the engine. Remove the air box's and you will have plenty of room.

guido88gt

Reaction score
thanks guys. last motor i rebuilt was a 94 indy 440, alot easier to work on...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remove both side panels.
Behind secondary there is a plate which holds bearing inside secondary clutch tower, A ratchet wrench makes it easy. 1 bolt.
POP off the upper chaincase plug, remove bolt from end of shaft.
Find a deep socket,slightly smaller than the splined shaft. attach this to an extension.
Warm up clutch tower with a heat gun, go to the other side and tap socket/extension lightly to slip shaft out.. LEAVE socket inside until you are ready to reinstall.

Slide out shaft. It's pretty easy once you figure it out.
If you pull the socket out, you will have to remove the chaincase cover to retrieve upper gear.

It can be done by yourself but a little easier with a helper.
There is a shim behind the gear. If you drop that, same as dropping the gear...take cover off.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wicked trick for pulling the primary clutch no special tools needed only a little bit of water: Step 1. tip the sled on its side and pull the primary clutch bolt out (obvious alert:belt should be off at this point)
Step two: wrap a healthy amount of teflon tape on the threads and fill up the cavity that the bolt goes into with water (has to be distilled).....Just kidding
Step three: put the clutch bolt back in and tighten until the clutch pops off ( be careful it could jump pretty hard)

This works on my 2012 E-tec I can't see why it won't work on most other sleds

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People have been doing this for years.

If you want to make it easier on yourself, don't tip the sled on its side before you remove the primary bolt.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just put a d.j kit in mine.

Didn't have to remove shaft. Got the stupid torx bolts out , helix in and regular gm 3.1 intake bolts back in ( right length and size lol )

Used 2 long bolts to pull the helix close to getting the other ones started , used a bar to move just a bit more to get the other bolts started...
Pain to get the other bolts out after as they were long but got it.

Now just have to mark and pop primary off ( marked as I have indexed my primary cause it does work )
To install primary spring and arms with weights.

sent from my htc

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just put a d.j kit in mine.

Didn't have to remove shaft. Got the stupid torx bolts out , helix in and regular gm 3.1 intake bolts back in ( right length and size lol )

Used 2 long bolts to pull the helix close to getting the other ones started , used a bar to move just a bit more to get the other bolts started...
Pain to get the other bolts out after as they were long but got it.

Now just have to mark and pop primary off ( marked as I have indexed my primary cause it does work )
To install primary spring and arms with weights.

sent from my htc

That sounds way easier than taking out the two bolts and hitting the jackshaft through and having to then work on it on your bench with the proper tools.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds way easier than taking out the two bolts and hitting the jackshaft through and having to then work on it on your bench with the proper tools.

Lol no kidding. As far as the secondary goes I always replace the torx with hex bolts that way I can use a ratcheting 12mm wrench to remove very quickly while still on the sled

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't think many will sense your sarcasm.

I timed myself last night as I was pulling the reeds on my sled and it is easier to pop off the secondary.

Belt off, Two springs off on the can, bolts out of the chain case as I was changing the fluid anyways, top gear off, bolt out of retainer, whacked with the dead blow, under 3 mins.

Yup I would much rather find a more convoluted way than that. :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think many will sense your sarcasm.

I timed myself last night as I was pulling the reeds on my sled and it is easier to pop off the secondary.

Belt off, Two springs off on the can, bolts out of the chain case as I was changing the fluid anyways, top gear off, bolt out of retainer, whacked with the dead blow, under 3 mins.

Yup I would much rather find a more convoluted way than that. :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2
you are going to have to video this 3 minute procedure to convince me it's easier than screwing in the spring compressor and removing 4 bolts.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you are going to have to video this 3 minute procedure to convince me it's easier than screwing in the spring compressor and removing 4 bolts.

okay next time, but I didn't say it was easier than removing it once you replace the torx bolts. I don't bother replacing my bolts, and what Tex did is in no way the easy way to do things. The lazy way maybe. Removing the torx bolts while still having the secondary in the sled because you can't be bothered to pop it out? The end result will provide easier access down the road sure by having hex head bolts put back in.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay next time, but I didn't say it was easier than removing it once you replace the torx bolts. I don't bother replacing my bolts, and what Tex did is in no way the easy way to do things. The lazy way maybe. Removing the torx bolts while still having the secondary in the sled because you can't be bothered to pop it out? The end result will provide easier access down the road sure by having hex head bolts put back in.
gotcha...

Top Bottom