removing idler wheels

lkisle

Reaction score
wondering...
does anyone remove idler wheels from the summits for deep snow applications or for installing scratchers. or at least to shed some weight?
cheers

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some people remove both sets but it does wear out the sliders quicker.

I am moving my scratchers more forward this year and will use the rear idlers for mounting and keep the front ones in.

Its not a huge weight savings but cleans the look of the sled up and helps for clearing out the slushy stuff too.

Last edited:

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wondering...
does anyone remove idler wheels from the summits for deep snow applications or for installing scratchers. or at least to shed some weight?
cheers

When i had a stock skid on mine i took off two of the front idlers and had no issues. Seems kinda pointless to me to have four wheels so close together.

I now have a mtn tamer skid which has no idlers at all. For the trail ride i need my scratchers and i also hang a bolt through the back of my skis for extra scratchers and my sliders still wear pretty quick.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are burning up sliders then either your track is too tight, there is a lot of downward pressure on the front of the skid (wheelie prone sleds) or you are running the sliders too hot (not using scratchers for the snow conditions).

If you have too much downward pressure on the forward control arm, your sliders will wear off at the bend in the rail. This is common for guys with wheelie prone sleds (incorrect skid setup) or guys who slack the limiter straps off all the way (because they want to wheelie). If you are melting them all the way along, then they are not getting enough cooling.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom