Remembering 8.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine reminded me that today marks three years since a pair of avalanches claimed 8 of our fellow sledders from the small town of Sparwood. Don't forget that these guys were sledding in an area they knew very well, and all of them were carrying the proper rescue/safety equipment. Familiarity and backcountry gear are not a guarantee of safety, only using your head can do that. Monitor avy bulletins, weather reports, and the conditions around you. Take an avalanche course and tell your friends to do the same. Stay out of the danger zones when the risk is too high and most importantly, trust your instincts...if you don't feel right about where you are or what you are doing then stop, and don't be afraid to tell your buddies about it either. Better to look like a wimp and deal with a little ribbing from your group than being the guy who has to explain to your friends' grieving families why you were too afraid to say something before it was too late. Don't be a statistic, use your head and hopefully we'll all make it home safe. Remember the 8.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I will never forget that day. We were headed out to the pass for our annual vacation and totalled off our trailer the day before with poor road conditions and caused extensive damage to our truck. Then hearing that news the next day was like being shot in the gut. What a horrible horrible day that was.

Peace and blessings to the families and friends of the victims and all those who participated in the rescue efforts.

Jan

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just another reminder....NEVER stop for lunch in or near an avalanche chute. I've seen many do it and there have been many hit by an avalanche while doing so.

Play safe and use your head!

Top Bottom